Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am the owner of a black Smart Roadster Coupé Brabus Xclusive. I bought it in 2007 when they were stopping the production and have been taking good care of it ever since. But I have been living in between Spain and USA for the past 5 years up to a point that I am considering bringing it here. I know its not easy but it is possible. I hope to find answers here!

Thank you guys for making possible a forum like this!

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Oh no, until the car is 25 years old, you will not be able to use it in the USA. In Canada you only have to wait 15 years.....still a long time away.

That would be my dream smart for sure, I drove one of those in France in 2005.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your response. Isn't that law so ridiculous though? A car that is 25 years old most likely will be more unsafe and have more environment problems than a newer one. Why would they allow a car that old without any compliance but not a newer one?

And we are talking about a smart which is one of the most environment-safe cars out there.

Anyways, there has to be another way. I have seen two roadsters already here in LA. Does anybody in this forum have a successful story importing a roadster into the USA?

·
Super Moderator
28,760 Posts
There are many diesel 450s in the US, as well as a couple of crossblades and at least one roadster. How they got here is anyone's guess but it was certainly not by complying with the EPA/DOT rules. None of those cars were ever officially sold in the US by Mercedes-Benz so to be legal yours would have to be imported and then modified by an approved company to meet applicable US standards - for lots of $$$$. :)

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Mexico may be the solution. Establish residence there. Import and register the car there, then come visit the US bringing your car with you.

Regards,

Dan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you so much guys! I have been reading non stop on this forum for the past 3 days I had no idea there was so much interest in importing the roadie here.

One thing is for sure, it is not easy. But from all the solutions that I have been reading I am curious about one that suggests inheriting one.

Something about a loophole in the EPA and NHTSA laws that allow you to register a car that doesn't meet standards because you inherited it.

Does anybody have more information about that?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
OK,

I officially hate you now for posting those absolutely drool-worthy pictures of a car I won't ever be able to legally own in the U.S. until 2022, when I'll be 79 (and probably won't even care about owning it then).

Seriously, I wish you success in bringing your car to the U.S. Do you have contacts with Spanish Diplomats posted to the U.S.? Or even Spanish Military posted to the U.S. Both may bring non-conforming cars to the U.S. for the duration of their assignments here.

If you just want to bring the car here for "display" purpose only, contact Bill Gates to find out how to bring UNOBTANIUM into the county and not have it confiscated/crushed immediately on arrival. Just remember, one of the richest people in the world still can't drive some of his cars on U.S. roads.

I still believe your best chance / least hassle opportunity is the Mexican connection if you want to be able to drive and enjoy your car here.

Regards,

Dan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK,

I officially hate you now for posting those absolutely drool-worthy pictures of a car I won't ever be able to legally own in the U.S. until 2022, when I'll be 79 (and probably won't even care about owning it then).
Hahaha I don't blame you although imagine how it feels to actually own it and not be able to enjoy it. It is very frustrating!

I have no contacts in the Spanish Consulate in Los Angeles, I could try to talk to them but I feel like they would tell me to do it the legal way, paying a lot of money.

I have thought of bringing it here for display too, but what's the point of all the hassle if I wouldn't be able to drive it?

I have some friends from Mexico, maybe I can try that. But I am still going to look into the inheritance way. Since my wife is from the US, do any of you guys know if it would work if I pass it to her?

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Great... now I have to clean the drool off my keyboard...

If your wife inherits the car from you, wouldn't you have to be dead?? Interesting loophole, I would love for it to work out! I'm sure I have a distant ailing relative from across the pond that would put me in their will...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
haha thats what I though and It actually sounds really sketchy, but somebody mention it on this forum.

I guess my best options are:

-The expensive way paying shipping, customs, modifications to US standards... with the risk of ruining the car and losing its value.

-Bringing it as display, with the downside of not being able to drive it on the streets.

-Through Mexico. I need to find out more about that, although it worries me that if I have to constantly go there it might end up costing a lot of money as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts