Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there replaced just the ball joints on their 451. I picked up a set from Rock Auto for $13 bucks each (DelphiBrand). Before I rip apart the front end yet again I want to make sure I know what I'm in for. I have searched for a how to online and can only find for 450, or whole lower arm on 451. I don't want to pull the whole lower A-Arm. The BJ appears to be held in with a snap ring but I can't see which side it is on on the OE units. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Anyone out there replaced just the ball joints on their 451. I picked up a set from Rock Auto for $13 bucks each (DelphiBrand). Before I rip apart the front end yet again I want to make sure I know what I'm in for. I have searched for a how to online and can only find for 450, or whole lower arm on 451. I don't want to pull the whole lower A-Arm. The BJ appears to be held in with a snap ring but I can't see which side it is on on the OE units. Any help would be great.
Sorry for the late response to this. I just changed mine. The lower ball joints are a pressed fit. I got 2 new ones for $9.95 each. I took the front steering knuckle off, then went to NAPA and borrowed there ball joint press. ( think big heave duty c clamp) Pressed out one one and pressed in new. The entire job including going to NAPA was under 3 hours.

·
Registered
477 Posts
If you have not purchased them yet, the whole assembly A-frame can be replaced relatively easily. It’s a heck of a lot easier than replacing just the ball - they can be a beast to remove and an even bigger beast to press in place.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts