Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Ive been having some trouble today with the front brakes locking up during turns. This occurs mostly during left turns in normal driving on a total stock smartcar. if i am in a left turn it will activate the abs to the left front wheel. During a right turn it activates the right front abs. this is annoying and gets a lot of attention when turning left at an intersection from a red light or following the on ramp around. I often have to straighten the wheel and fight the problem to get it to go. Its like riding a really really stubborn horse. Any ideas what causes this issue?

i did a little research on this forum prior to posting this. I found this thread: smartcarofamerica forums f25 front-brake-locking-up-turns-49910 but my problem seems much more severe and my vehicle is totally stock.

·
Registered
912 Posts
How much tread depth is left on the tires - check all four of them.

What's the actual tire pressure? Check it with a gauge ... don't rely on the TPMS indicator not being on.

It does not take too much difference in the effective wheel rolling diameter to upset the stability control system. It expects a certain difference front to rear because of the difference in nominal tire sizes. Much different from that will be trouble.

A wheel speed sensor that is going bad, but isn't yet bad enough to trip a fault code, will make the car act up, too.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,184 Posts
What tire sizes are you running? This condition may be exacerbated with the same size on all four.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think it has something to do with the tire size. You may have the front and back reversed or just the wrong size of tire entirely. Check this first!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts