Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've completed the install of late 1980s GM horns on my wife's 2013 pure and now I'm attempting to correct the botched front clip install from the previous repair job this car endured.

I've looked for weeks - even enlisting the help of the Des Moines, IA Smart dealership - to try and find the top attachment bolt and top hat bushing that holds the front clip on the front door pillar on either side.

You will notice in the photo below the bolt is on the left and the top hat bushing is on the right.

So using my favourite online site to get Smart Car part numbers I went here: Mercedes-Benz Parts & Accessories | MB Online Parts
and if you go to this direct link and look at part #2, you can see my bolt - but where is the top hat bushing?

I'm left wondering then if this bolt automatically comes with the top hat? If so, then why isn't it pictured?

I'm open for any comments/answers to my inquiry because I really need to get this top hat bushing.

Thanks for the help.

silent

·
Registered
2009 451 Rally Red, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40, Wix XP 51356, 185/55R15 tires, 44 psl
1,073 Posts
I got some hard to find fasteners from McMaster Carr before...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll give it a shot. I have my calipers here so I'll see if I can deduce the size for everything I need. I'll let you know what I find out.

silent

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Today I went to Ace Hardware in my town and took a look at what they had to offer. I finally found something I can make work. The details are in the photo. I'm going to use the silver parts on the left. I was able to modify a tee nut to work as a spacer to mimic the original MB part and the bolt was cut down with a hack saw and filed by hand. The bushings on the right have a better fit in the front clip and then I could have used a standard m6 x 1.0 bolt and washer in stainless - but I was out of time and just decided to give this a shot. It's largely protected from moisture anyway. I just hate that I have to use an allen tool to un/install it but until I get a junk smart car for parts, I will just have to make this work.

silent

1 - 4 of 4 Posts