Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one found the specifications for the front end allignment on the 451? I have 27k+ miles on mine and the front tires are worn out.

I have a set of rear wheels to put on the front and I am going to put a set of 4 185/60/R15 on the car.

The allignment shops don't seem to have the specs yet.

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
...just this time...

for 451.3.. & 451.4.. chassis the specs are:

front
camber (at 0 toe) 0 deg 18' + or - 30'
caster 7 deg 50' + or - 30'
toe 36' + or - 10'

rear (All 450, 451 & 452 chassis)
camber -2 deg 00' + or - 30'
toe 0 deg + or - 18'

front caster and camber can be adjusted slightly by loosening all 4 lower control arm bolts and sliding the whole assembly left/right forward back as needed (holes are enlarged to allow some movement)
Front toe is adjustable.

Rear is not adjustable at all

jetfuel...join SCOA...you'll be glad you did

·
Registered
671 Posts
Okie, I'm right there with you. I have 25k+ on mine and my fronts are worn out on the inside edges. Is that where yours are worn? I was thinking mine must be out of alignment to wear them out at such low mileage.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okie, I'm right there with you. I have 25k+ on mine and my fronts are worn out on the inside edges. Is that where yours are worn? I was thinking mine must be out of alignment to wear them out at such low mileage.
Yes the inside edges of the fronts, which would suggest excessive negitive camber or excessive toe-out. Seems to be a common problem and made worse by not being able to rotate the tires. The back tires are doing ok.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Sounds to me like a toe problem, camber will most likely not case your problem, over driving the chassis on the other hand will.
karl

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am REALLY confused...

I know I live in the sticks, but I just had my 2008 Cab at a local shop that "supposedly" had worked on 450's and 451's in the past. The guy there gave me some cock-and-bull about needing OEM software to align the front end due to the electric power steering. Said it was a Mercedes thing and only a dealer can do the alignment. Does anybody know, is he telling fact or fiction (or do I never want to see him again?):eek:

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
Me too!

I just noticed my front tires wearing on the inside of the front tires too. I have all 185/60/15's so I just rotated my fronts to the rear to extend the life of my tires.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I know I live in the sticks, but I just had my 2008 Cab at a local shop that "supposedly" had worked on 450's and 451's in the past. The guy there gave me some cock-and-bull about needing OEM software to align the front end due to the electric power steering. Said it was a Mercedes thing and only a dealer can do the alignment. Does anybody know, is he telling fact or fiction (or do I never want to see him again?):eek:

He's feeding you a line of BS. I have access to the official MB WIS system, and have read the "official" alignment proceedure. No where does it start you need software to align it.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Our fronts (stock tires) were worn out (inside tread) at around 20k. Our rears were still usable but showed some inside tread wear.

Alignment read within Smart specs. Consensuses was high speed driving coupled with Smarts inherent rough ride... No Fix. A2Jack

·
Banned
4,883 Posts
The wedge kit evens out the rear wear... and trust me, if it was going to affect the safety of the car I would have found that out at OTD.:D

Hitch... straight up and thru the corner....

·
Registered
6 Posts
uneven tire wear front (Smart 451's)

Like others, my front tires are wearing on inside very premature at about 5000 miles. I saved my old tires with 19 k on them and wear was even and not really shot - I just wanted new set. So I think wrong toe setting.
Some shops will try to tell you it's bad struts but I'd be suspicious. I'm at 45 K and struts seem solid. I'm an easy driver, not special stress on car.

Next new tires I think I'll put same wheel and tire as on rear. Has anyone had trouble with this or advise against? Thanks, Larry

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
Wheel alignment assistance needed

My smart turned 50K recently. It drives straight, steering wheel is dead on straight, no pulling etc. I just bought a new set of tires, and visually, it looks to have excessive tow-out in the front.

So, I went to the shop that does all the alignments for our body shop. I was able to stand and observe first hand. He removed the front splash-shield, and his alignment machine shows him a photo pointing out the 4 bolts to loosen. Then it states that you can slide the front suspension around to get the desired results.

The issue is, with all bolts loose, and with his large pry bar, he could not get anything to move. He said it does not appear to have any slots allowing movement. So, he adjusted out the excessive tow-out and sent me on my way. He said he did not want to pry too hard, since he felt that the suspension looked a little lite duty.

Does anyone have experience actually adjusting the wheel alignment on a 451 smart ? Also, since I currently weigh 270, I had him do the alignment with me sitting in the car. Anyone else do this ?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Does anyone have experience actually adjusting the wheel alignment on a 451 smart ? Also, since I currently weigh 270, I had him do the alignment with me sitting in the car. Anyone else do this ?
Alignments are supposed to be done in a un-loaded condition, according to Mercedes service info. First vehicle level is checked, then drive-line angle is checked and adjusted if necessary, then the alignment check and adjustment. Service info for alignment has Mercedes and smart all mixed together but it appears the only adjustment called out for the 451 model is drive-line angle and toe setting. They have a torque setting for the front axle carrier bolts but I have seen no procedure for adjustment of the carrier. I have not searched through every single rabbit-hole in the various menus and links.

I suspect whether your car was aligned loaded or un-loaded does not really matter in the grand scheme of things. Do what feels right and motor on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts