Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, guys! I have a 2008 Smart fortwo Passion! I have 21,000 miles on it! Don't really drive it much, only on weekends! Here's the problem. When I go over bumps, even on the parkway, the front end bangs down really hard, I can feel it in my spine! To put it lightly, the front end really sucks! Should I replace struts, springs etc! Don't really want to do process of elimination, that could cost me money for nothing! Anybody have this problem and can suggest what I can do? Thanks!

·
Registered
637 Posts
It sounds like somethings broken. The first step is to get it up off the ground and have a look around. It could be a broken ball joint, very bad bearing, broken spring, thrust bearing at the top of the strut, or a totally hammered strut. If it’s jarring your teeth lose, my guess is that it will be relatively easy to see. Be careful driving something like this because if it’s a bad spring or wheel bearing you might find one of your your wheels leaving you behind!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sounds like somethings broken. The first step is to get it up off the ground and have a look around. It could be a broken ball joint, very bad bearing, broken spring, thrust bearing at the top of the strut, or a totally hammered strut. If it’s during your teeth lose my guess is that it will be relatively easy to see. Be careful driving something like this because if it’s a bad spring Or wheel bearing you might find one of your your wheels leaving you behind!
Okay! Thanks, gonna have the entire front end checked out!

·
Registered
61 Posts
That is why many Smart owners put the same size tires they are running in the rear on the front too

·
Registered
603 Posts
Previous owner of my 2009 had a front coil spring break on him. Agree, if it's that bad, odds are you can tell just by looking. Definitely don't drive it until you know what's wrong. Seen too many ball joint blowouts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts