Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever replaced the front insulation barrier in the engine compartment? We just bought a fixer '08 cabrio that had been in storage for a few years. The insulation pad typically over the alternator area was loosely piled all over the alternator and engine when I first opened the bay cover! My preference is to replace it but I haven't been able to find any information on how or what it takes...e.g. do I need to drop the engine? I believe I found the part number (451-682-00-60). The other option is to replace only the missing areas, but I'm not confident it will hold up over time...last thing I want is an engine fire.
Appreciate any expertise/experience you can offer! :D

Thanks,
Robb

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,659 Posts
The insulation recall was for the rear mat at the back of the car. To my knowledge, there was never a recall on the front insulation mat. In my 2009, the front mat started to sag a bit near the top edge, but I repaired that years ago with glue and clamps while it dried. My rear mat looks like the day it left the factory.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Appreciate the rapid replies! My bad, I probably should have been more clear...we had MB perform the recall work for the REAR insulation last week. My guess the rear was really bad as well and clearly more of a fire hazard. My gut tells me the only way to replace the front insulation is to drop the motor. I'll keep on looking. Perhaps I'll have to glue what I can get to and visit this again if I ever have to do major engine work. For now, I've pulled the carpeting out and steam cleaned it this evening. Tomorrow I'll clean up the floor pan and lay Kilmat down to eliminate some of the road noise and hopefully some of the heat gain from the missing engine bay insulation. Again, appreciate all the help!

·
Registered
881 Posts
Appreciate the rapid replies! For now, I've pulled the carpeting out and steam cleaned it this evening. Tomorrow I'll clean up the floor pan and lay Kilmat down to eliminate some of the road noise and hopefully some of the heat gain from the missing engine bay insulation. Again, appreciate all the help!
I will like to hear the Kilmat road noise reduction results.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts

My front and rear mat are in great shape, should be with 3k on the clock of my 18 EQ!

However, I covered both the underside and outside of the service cover with DynaMat Extreme. Also used a piece 2' x 4' on the inside of both door shells at the bottom of the panel.

World of difference in road noise, well worth the cost the cost of the mat!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I installed the Kilmat on the floor pan and engine deck/cover on my 09 cabrio and it made a surprising difference. It was relatively inexpensive and easy to do..the results are well worth the effort, at least from my perspective. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts