Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Florida used to be known for some of the best roads in the nation but lately I'm beginning to have second doubts. I am constantly hitting manhole covers not flush with the street, repair work not done to quality standards....for instance where a bridge or the road to it was repaired leaving a height difference from 1/2 to 3/4 inch variance. Then when my car hits them you'd swear you just bent or cracked a rim. Since I have had neither I must assume the suspension reached it's travel limit.

Does anyone know what it is?

thanks

·
Super Moderator
17,607 Posts
You have (well, HAD) flush manhole covers? An inch variance is the norm out here! :eek:

Sounds like you're bottoming out or coming close to it. The front end doesn't have a lot of travel.

Reactions: TRobinson6

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
Adding new springs and shocks made a big difference in my commute. We have some of the worse roads imaginable and the freezing /thawing in the winter months are insane! Manhole covers and bridge approaches are much worse, similar to hitting a curb and driving down the Interstate can bounce you into another lane. Not uncommon to slow down 5-10 miles below the speed limit to protect your car from damage.

With the ED suspension, I am able to drive much faster with less pounding over the same roads. I wonder if replacing the struts with stock ones would have helped just as much.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Me too. As my intention is to leave stock springs in front (if its determined they are not broken) New struts front. The rear also stock springs but double adjustable shocks and then tune the rear shocks to control the cars behavior.

So anyone who has changed struts and shocks, how much of a difference have you experienced?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts