Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been living with a noisy muffler, trying to find the time (and weather) to replace it when I noticed an increase in noise at higher speeds. When I gently turn to the right, it decreases a bit. I assume it is the right front wheel bearing, probably from hitting so many critters lately.

First one I have had to replace on these cars, and it looks like it needs to be pressed out and new one pressed in. Just wondering since I don't have a press if It is worth it to pick up a used steering knuckle and replace the whole assembly. I know that it would be a used bearing and I am taking a chance of installing one that is potentially worn, but it would be a bit easier than tearing it apart and finding someone with a press, etc. any thoughts??

:shrug:

·
17,378 Posts
First thing I'd say is actually make sure it's the front. I thought my front bearings were going then it turned out that I was actually hearing the rear bearings.

If it does turn out to be the fronts, I'd say take the path of cheapest resistance. You can get a press for cheap at harbor freight or probably even on Craigslist/Facebook. I also have a local mechanic that installs bearings at $50/wheel if you bring your own parts.

A used steering knuckle also works, but you run the risk that you may end up needing a new bearing sooner.

·
Super Moderator
11,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Usually the rears take more of a swerve to quiet them down and this takes just a slight movement to quiet it so I think it is a front one. tough to tell with such a short wheelbase. For now I parked it and waiting for the weather to give me a chance to work on it. (enough rain for a while cripes!!)
with all the creatures I have hit with the front end, I am thinking it has taken it's toll on the front wheels.

·
Super Moderator
11,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just put new shocks and springs in about a month ago, as well as replacing the upper pivots and the sway bar links. It should come apart fairly easy..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts