Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thursday morning, after a night of rain changing to freezing rain then snow, I could not get the charge plug out of the car: The locking mechanism was frozen, I could not push down the button on top of the plug to unlock it.

This happened at home. A few minutes with a hair dryer fixed the problem.

But it would have been tricky away from home. I don't usually carry a hairdryer with me...

·
Registered
185 Posts
This is good info.

Maybe for situations like this -- which must be rather rare -- perhaps you could create a cover of some sort that would possibly insulate and protect the charger handle from exposure to freezing rain?

·
Registered
19 Posts
This happened to me at a Recargo charger station. It was dry, but single digit cold, with wet snow frozen on the ground from the night before. I plugged the handle in to my car, and then I realized that there was no way I could use the charger, because I only have a ChargePoint card... I guess I could have called Recargo, and activate/pay with cc over the phone?
In any event, I decided to just move on, but the release button was frozen. I also don't carry hair dryers, so I just warmed it with my hands the best I could for a few minutes after with I was able to finally press the release button (chromed metal) enough for it to release from the car's port.

Good foresight to cover the handle in subzero weather may eliminate this problem, but with public, uncovered chargers, take note of the clip before you attach. (First World Problems)

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I have an old metal license plate that I wound up bending into an arched shape with 1" crimp on one side. It's not pretty, but it covers the port well by holding onto the plastic cap. Would be easy to reproduce with a piece of thin sheet metal for a buck or two. I usually keep it in the garage and throw it over the handle when I charge. Some summers it gets thrown in the car for weekend I take camping trips and the like (though I'm less worried about rain than snow).

·
Registered
19 Posts
They make De-Icer in a spray can that would solve the problem.

:)
I like it! Gonna carry a small can with me next cold season.

The small chrome tab seen in this pic offers limited leverage on the hook that clasps at the end of the plastic handle where it attaches to the car. (This is what the Recargo charger handle looked like that was frozen.)

A small light would also be very helpful at the connection, or am I being too needy? I will attach a small LED button light to my home charger's handle, or I may hang one inside my charge-port (er, "gas cap") cover.

Attachments

·
Registered
646 Posts
Not even a consideration here in San Diego, I'm happy to say. It would be nice to get some rain though, things are awfully brown here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts