Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last month or so, when I start my car up after it's been sitting for a while (overnight or at least a couple hours), right after turning the ignition, a couple seconds will pass and then I'll hear a FRRT noise right under where my left foot rests. I've been having clutch issues also and when I went in to the Mercedes dealership to have them check that out, they said the noise was probably due to the clutch and it'd likely go away if the clutch issue got fixed.

So I gave them $1600 to fix the clutch and the clutch still isn't fixed and I still have the FRRT. The next thing (as they have suggested) would be the actuator motor, which would be another $1000. I LOVE my car and I'm prepared to pay that if there's a strong likelihood that'll actually fix the issue and keep him running for a few more years. BUT that noise is just so weird and seemingly distance from clutch-things that I don't want to spend the money only for that noise not to go away and actually be indicative of another costly issue.

(Also, sorry - I genuinely cannot think of any better way to describe the noise. It really truly sounds like a loud, rough fart.)

·
Super Moderator
28,976 Posts
There is something going on under the floor on the driver's side - every time the car is started the ABS system does a self check, which is normally felt as a momentary vibration under your feet. However, if this is new and is a noise, not a vibration, that's something else. I'd get an independent shop that does foreign car work to put the car on a lift and see if they can pinpoint the source of the noise. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is something going on under the floor on the driver's side - every time the car is started the ABS system does a self check, which is normally felt as a momentary vibration under your feet. However, if this is new and is a noise, not a vibration, that's something else. I'd get an independent shop that does foreign car work to put the car on a lift and see if they can pinpoint the source of the noise. :)
It's a little bit of both. There's the noise and there's some vibration - almost like something's trying to pass through that spot but it's clogged - if that makes any sense?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Try unplugging the subwoofer under the driver seat, the connector is at the corner closest to the gas pedal. Hopefully it is the sub going bad and not something else serious. Sitting in the seat a bad sub really sounds like its coming from the wheel well and it confused me for months.

·
Registered
898 Posts
For the last month or so, when I start my car up after it's been sitting for a while (overnight or at least a couple hours), right after turning the ignition, a couple seconds will pass and then I'll hear a FRRT noise right under where my left foot rests. I've been having clutch issues also and when I went in to the Mercedes dealership to have them check that out, they said the noise was probably due to the clutch and it'd likely go away if the clutch issue got fixed.

So I gave them $1600 to fix the clutch and the clutch still isn't fixed and I still have the FRRT. The next thing (as they have suggested) would be the actuator motor, which would be another $1000. I LOVE my car and I'm prepared to pay that if there's a strong likelihood that'll actually fix the issue and keep him running for a few more years. BUT that noise is just so weird and seemingly distance from clutch-things that I don't want to spend the money only for that noise not to go away and actually be indicative of another costly issue.

(Also, sorry - I genuinely cannot think of any better way to describe the noise. It really truly sounds like a loud, rough fart.)
check out some of the posts on this link including my posts with pictures.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts