Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone,

I just got a 2016 Smart FourTwo and am having some problems with charging. I don't know whether it's a me thing or a battery thing or a charger thing. Wondering whether there is anyone out there who's had similar issues.

1. Domestic charging (110v). When I charge at home, it usually takes about how long I was told it would (12 hours), though sometimes inexplicably, over that same amount of time it may only charge about 30% and I have no idea why. Does anyone know why? Just to clarify, I do use an extension cord because I have no choice.

2. Public stations. I have used both Sun Country and EVLink chargers in public, and the charge time seems to be about like at home. As in no fast charge. In 2 hours battery increased by 15%. I read about both stations and the parameters seemed to be met. In the Sun Country one, the solid green light was on, indicating charging, and with EVLink there was a solid green and a blinking blue light, which their website says shows it's charging. What am I doing wrong here?

3. When/how do I know what can/cannot be turned on or not while charging? Sometimes if I open the door, the charge will stop. That makes me nervous that if I do anything, the charging will stop. Does the car have to be a specific way in order to charge? Which brings me to:

4. Is there anything in the car display that lets me know that the battery is charging? So far, I will see the very not comforting message "Charge now" when it should already be charging. Nothing else indicates whether I'm just sitting waiting for nothing to happen, or whether I'm getting an excellent fast charge. Is there something I can look for on the display that indicates that the battery is charging?

Thanks lots for this.

·
Super Moderator
1,738 Posts
If you press the door lock or unlock button, the cluster will light up and in a few seconds the line with the eight little rectangles will indicate where you are in the charging and it will also give you an estimate of how much time is left for a full charge. At least that's how it works on my two.

Do you set the home 110v charger to the faster charge rate, i.e. all four green lights cycle?

Len
2014 EV Coupe 19,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 13,500 miles

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
First, is this a 451 model or the newer 453 model?

For my answers, I will assume that this is a 451 for two.

1. For using the 120V charging adapter (EVSE*), make sure you push the big button so that you see a 1-2-3-4 sequence of four lights on the adapter box, not just two lights. Use a good heavy-duty extension cord and check that it and its plugs get no more than warm to the touch.

2. Make sure the charging is set to "max". Twist the right stalk until you see "charge and depart" and push the button on the end to display the sub menu. Twist the stalk again to find "Charge Curr" and put the highlight cursor over it and push the button again. Then twist the stalk again to to select "Max" then push the button again. (its easier to do than describe).

But note that the public 240V charging station (called "level 2 EVSEs) will send their own signal to the car indicating the maximum charging rate they will accept - and sometimes that rate can be set too low.

3. You can do practically everything while charging except drive the car (open the door, run any accessory including the heater or AC if the key switch is on, etc). The charging is not affected by opening the door. How can you tell that it is stopping?

4. That highlighted "Charge Now" causes much confusion - it is not a message or warning - it is just the default of two settings you can select with the right stalk - the other setting being the "A/C on at XX:XX setting which is a time you can set in the "charge and depart" menu so the car preheats or precools before the set departure time. This setting is also supposed to delay the start of charging until a calculated time before departure - but this feature does not work in N. American Smarts. Charging always starts immediately.

As far as telling if it is charging, you will see the flashing bars indicating the progress of charging on the indicator panel, but this goes out after a minute. I think if you turn the key switch on, the charging progress bar will reappear. The EVSE should also provide a "charging" indication, and the 120V EVSE will show that 1-2-3-4 row of blinking lights.

Finally, and most importantly - Read The Manual!

--------

* EVSE = Electric Vehicle Service Equipment. They are not "chargers" - the actual charger is permanently installed in the car.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Okay @JodyH, as you've got a forfour it must be a smart ED4. It's not a smart ED3 as @Yinzer is expecting.

1. Please check that you're extension cord is a heavy duty one and that all connections don't get worm during charging. If something gets to worm, the smart is going to slow down the charge or even stop it. That's a safety feature. And one side note: The manual does not allow using a extension cord.

2. Let's pause this topic till we found out what's going on at home.

3. You can not unlock the smart without stoping it charging. It's stupid, but that's how it is. If you don' lock it, it's not going to stop charging when you open is as you din't had to unlock it.

4. Yes, when it's charging you should see on the color display, behind the steering wheel, that it's actually charging. You also can see there how fast it's charging.

From where are you from? Am I right, you are located in the UK?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Ahh right.

I thought they din't sell the forfour in the US, or did they?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
No. I never saw a ForFour in the US or Canada. And, at any rate, the OP Jody clearly described the car as a ForTwo and the only question is whether it is a 451 or 453. I think both were sold under that model year in N. America in 2016 confusingly enough.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
No. I never saw a ForFour in the US or Canada. And, at any rate, the OP Jody clearly described the car as a ForTwo and the only question is whether it is a 451 or 453. I think both were sold under that model year in N. America in 2016 confusingly enough.
I believe only the 2016 ED was a 451. 2016 ICEs were all 453s.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
OK, so the OP Jody's car is definitely a 451 and our advice was accurate. But like so often seems to happen, here, the OP has vanished...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts