Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that this has probably been discussed about a thousand times already...
...But I'm still new to this, and I haven't got the "Search Stuff" figured out yet...

I know that these little cars are rated for around 40 mpg out on the highway...
But I find myself getting between 55, and 65 mpg with mine! I'm usually driving on the open road, and between 45, and 55 mph.
How does that compare to the rest of you?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
That’s the speed where they get the best gas mileage, especially on level ground without much stop-n-go. I’ve never seen over 60 indicated but have seen in the high 50s.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:D Thanks! I was worried that my ability to perform simple calculations was becoming suspect… :nerd:

·
Super Moderator
28,444 Posts
Even better mpg driving at 30 mph......

It's all in the driving conditions and varies by individual drivers. Our 2011 is showing a running average of just over 40 mpg; that will drop as soon as colder temps and the winter gas formulation kick in. :)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The slide rule seems to be reliable... :D
I gave the little bug a drink of Mobil 93 octane; from a fuel station that I've always had good luck with.
I'm also the LAST guy on the Planet, that you want to see of the road in front of you... Old, slow, and sloppy!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Bob
Old, well we can't help that as we all age, get gray hair, stiff joints, memory loss, etc... now where was I going with that?
Slow, sure we can all drive 20 to 30 over the limit, and the car will perform. But why? With the top down, I can smell the fresh cut grass!
Sloppy, I get that all the time from the wife... I can handle that.
Enjoy your little bug, its yours.
I also can remember slide rules... never had to change a battery in one of those!

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts
WOW, this hijack of a Fuel Economy thread took a rather dramatic turn - OLD???

You old farts are rather depressing - when I get out of bed in the morning and see my "fuzzy" image standing upright in the mirror, I call it A GOOD START!! :bigthumbup:

What's old??? Geezer, out . . . :wink:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A thread is really nothing more than a conversation between friends; who haven't yet had the good fortune to meet... 0:)
:D You never know exactly where they'll end up!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a 2017 Smart Brabus:

After getting 40-50 MPG for the last 6 months in Seattle I have move to So Cal and suddenly it drops to 26-32. Problem seems to be running the AC in stop and go driving. And the excessive acceleration to flow with traffic during rush hour. So I shifted my hours and I still can get low 40 MPG by slowing from 60 MPH speed limit to 50 MPG and avoiding traffic so I can accelerate easy.

Slowing down should add about 4 minutes to my commute. Funny thing is that the traffic lights between Lake Forest and Irvine are synchronized for 50 MPH so I actually stop less and get much better MPG.

I m surprised at how much difference the AC makes to mileage. In Seattle it ran so lightly never made much difference.

Another thing I love is the "Quiet Pavement" California uses the car is as quiet as an electric. This has been an issue in Washington with rough pavement resonating through the rear of car.

So more fun with SMARTIE

1 - 13 of 13 Posts