Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Twice the fuel gauge in my wifes smart has gone bezerk after superfilling, flashing all the bars on and off. The first time it kept flashing it until it got below half a tank, then resolved itself just as we were about to take it in to get looked at.

This time it's flashing for a while, then goes back to normal except for random fuel levels, and then starts flashing again. :eek:

Has anyone else seen this or know what the cause may be?

Most of the time we superfill and have no issues.

Pete :smartje.bl.zw:

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
The owner's manual specifies clearly that one shouldn't "superfill". Stop at the first click! Otherwise you'll get some conflicting results, like an engine malfunction, and possibly the one you just posted...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Please define "Superfilling"

Twice the fuel gauge in my wifes smart has gone bezerk after superfilling, flashing all the bars on and off. The first time it kept flashing it until it got below half a tank, then resolved itself just as we were about to take it in to get looked at.

This time it's flashing for a while, then goes back to normal except for random fuel levels, and then starts flashing again. :eek:

Has anyone else seen this or know what the cause may be?

Most of the time we superfill and have no issues.

Pete :smartje.bl.zw:
Please define the word "superfilling".

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
Well, in my post above, I understood that "superfilling" was in fact toping it off... :nono:
Am I, as usual, wrong?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oy... surprising your CEL isn't on from the superfilling.
Well thank god for that. Would you like to share what your acronym means?

The question was not if I should or should not. :nono: The question was has anyone else seen this symptom as a result.

Superfilling is a bit more than just topping off. There are quite a few discussions about it elsewhere.

·
Registered
383 Posts

The question was not if I should or should not. :nono: The question was has anyone else seen this symptom as a result.

Superfilling is a bit more than just topping off. There are quite a few discussions about it elsewhere.

And it WILL damage your smart. Reading the manual is good. The manual is your friend...

·
Banned
4,244 Posts

CEL - check engine light - also known as engine malfunction indicator. And I'm surprised you haven't had it, too. It happens when the tank is over filled or if the gas cap isn't tightened properly or if you look at it sideways.:rolleyes:

What are the advantages of "seperfilling"?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hmmm... I can't find any other references to "superfilling" on this forum, and Google doesn't seem to help. Can you give a bit more detail of what "superfilling" is, or a link to the other discussions about it?

Peter

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
superfilling entails dipping your gas tank in liquid nitrogen, proceeding with a normal fill, closing the top real tight, and then allowing the system to warm up to ambient temperature...which then pressurizes the gas tank to 45 psi.

:p

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I've seen discussions on other forums where they talk about superfilling a tank using the "burping" method. You fill up the tank until the nozzle clicks. Then you slowly put in a few milliliters, let it settle in, then keep repeating this until your car is ready to puke. Others say they push on the bumper violently to force any air bubbles in the tank to pop out, thereby creating additional space for liquid gas to come in. One extreme method involved jacking up one corner of the car, again with the idea that doing so would force air bubbles to come to the surface.

Hey, don't give me that look, I don't make this stuff up. :nuts:

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I've seen discussions on other forums where they talk about superfilling a tank using the "burping" method. You fill up the tank until the nozzle clicks. Then you slowly put in a few milliliters, let it settle in, then keep repeating this until your car is ready to puke. Others say they push on the bumper violently to force any air bubbles in the tank to pop out, thereby creating additional space for liquid gas to come in. One extreme method involved jacking up one corner of the car, again with the idea that doing so would force air bubbles to come to the surface.

Hey, don't give me that look, I don't make this stuff up. :nuts:

I'm sure fuel tank shape was one of the intentional design elements, and the engineers tested behaviors of normal pumping, not the burping/jacking/bubble tea approach these guys are using. What's the advantage, to cram an extra two ounces of fuel? Almost any modern car with a charcoal canister in the emissions system could be damaged by overfilling, let alone superfilling. The canister is expecting vapors, not a half gallon of liquid fuel.

But I like the nitrogen thing... that was funny.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts