Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I filled up and the display is not filling the bar. I didn't too off what should I do or what's going on? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,216 Posts
This has come up many times before. If you fill the tank too fast, If you fill the tank too fast, the fuel foams up and fools the shutoff nozzle into thinking it is full. I normally fill with the slowest setting on he pump handle, then clean all the windows (kind of a timing thing) Even after the pump quits, finish cleaning the windows before topping off the tank. If you still get the missing one bar, chances are if you drive a short distance and shut the car off for awhile, it will show full.

Usually we say to average your MPG over 3 or 4 tank fulls to take into account an underfill,, but when I see a missing bar, I usually get just as many miles on a tank so do not worry too much about it.

Smart gas tanks are not too accurate when the tank is full but get more accurate towards the bottom of the tank. (where it counts)

·
Registered
345 Posts
It will be just a few more miles of driving before your car shows full. It happens all the time in smarty. I fill it up and drive off and for the first 15-20 miles I get one indicator below full. Keep an eye on it and let us know when you show full. Maybe today, maybe tomorrow, it will show full.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
We had collectively concluded years ago that if you allowed your fuel level to get down to the last bar before filling it up that it would have the 7/8 'bug', as we called it back then. I've never had it happen when I still have 2 or more bars showing, only when it's almost all the way down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts