Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my smart had a check engine light and the code showed that the fuel injector (or maybe secondary fuel injector?) was stuck open. Dealership replaced parts under warranty. I pick up the car and she is squealing something awful and the voltage is going crazy. They drop in a new battery (even after I suggested that maybe it’s the alternator belt but I guess I’m just a dumb girl), shes ok for a few days, and then dies anew. they dealership tells me, not surprisingly, that it’s the belt and the alternator. And they’re saying it’s not covered because it has absolutely nothing to do with the work they did on the fuel injection. And I just don’t believe this - battery and voltage were rock steady before and no belt noise, which started literally a block from the dealership after I picked her up.

So, my question is — to get at the fuel injection, did they have to remove the belt and/or alternator? Any thoughts on whether these issues could be connected?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
28,389 Posts
No idea on the 453, but if they are saying it's a bad alternator that should be covered under warranty also. If the belt is slipping can't they adjust it? If it's failed, you might have to pay under "fair wear and tear" but the whole story from the dealer sounds fishy..... you might want to get a second opinion from an independent garage. :)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They haven’t yet said whether it is the alternator itself or the belt - sorry if I wasn’t clear - just that those are the likely suspects (“yes, I know” I said in response) and that it’s not their fault and therefore not covered (although I agree that if it’s the alternator itself it should be still under warranty).

·
Registered
223 Posts
ST, are you really just a dumb girl? I kind a doubt it... seems to me you have a knowledge about mechanics, and know what your talking about.
So, I agree... take it back and have them fix it. If it was not broke from the belt and alternator before, and is now... I think you have reason to ask them to fix it, make it right, and show to you the procedure they used to do the original repair.
Name and location of the dealer would allow other Smarties to black lists the location. Save all paperwork, and prepare for a battle. Also start looking for another reputable repair facility. I personally think the belt adjustment should be easy... alternator might be another thing.
Good luck, keep us posted, you go girl!

·
Super Moderator
11,263 Posts
Not sure a worn out battery could cause a belt squeal, not something I have ever heard of. It is possible the alternator bearings have just gave up, that can happen, but usually they make a little noise, or the tensioner is out, it is possible something got left behind and is lodged in making the noise too. Been there, seen that.

·
Banned
43 Posts
So, my question is — to get at the fuel injection, did they have to remove the belt and/or alternator?
No, stay away from these bums and look for an independent shop that works solely on European cars, Audi,Volvo,Volkswagen, BMW, Mercedes etc.

These bums will replace every part they can if it's under warranty because they are getting paid for it. Understand no dealership is own by the home team. And they will lie through their teeth to Mercedes saying it was a bad part because Mercedes will never even ask to see it so they can check it out, everything nowadays is throwaway. But this does not let Mercedes off the hook because they design it for the dealers to have their hands in your pocket forever.

The Smart was a wonderful concept to bad Mercedes built it. And just so you know it was not their concept all they did was engineer it. However I will give credit to them because without their deep pockets it never gets design and then last as long as it did in America.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts