Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 Smart/For TWO 2 DR Cabriolet, My car started to smell like gas leak coming from under the car. Checking it out found that the fuel pump had a small small pin hole in the plastic top. I had to go to Mercedes dealer to get an new one. Has any one had this problem. I have owned it since new and it has 41000 miles on it.

Fleming Island Fl 32003

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Didn't have a fuel leak but my pump gave up the ghost a couple years ago, had to empty & drop the fuel tank, bummer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just experienced the same situation occur on my 2010 Passion coupe with only 5000 miles on it The fuel outlet plastic nipple was cracked.
It cost me $952 to replace the fuel pump.
OUTRAGEOUS!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I just experienced the same situation occur on my 2010 Passion coupe with only 5000 miles on it The fuel outlet plastic nipple was cracked.
It cost me $952 to replace the fuel pump.
OUTRAGEOUS!
Sorry to hear about your issue. However, you need to be aware that dealer fuel pump replacement on virtually any car made today can be very expensive. Dealer quoted price for fuel pump replacement on my '99 Jeep Grand Cherokee several years ago was $750. The vehicle only had 42K miles on it. Should that issue have occurred on your car? No, but since it did, if you had it replaced by a Mercedes dealer, you paid the price. In my case, there was a long history of doing business with the local dealer and the pump was replaced at cost of the part, no labor charge. The vehicle warranty had expired a good bit of time before the pump failure.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,184 Posts
I don't recall these leaks being a common occurrence, but now I'm starting to get a little concerned. :(

Including mine, that's three reports of fuel leaks in a week!

I'm not a big recall cryer, but I do wonder how many of these leakers have been discovered!

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
I don't recall these leaks being a common occurrence, but now I'm starting to get a little concerned. :(

Including mine, that's three reports of fuel leaks in a week!

I'm not a big recall cryer, but I do wonder how many of these leakers have been discovered!
Out of how many millions of vehicles ?????

Not even a drop in the bucket :wink:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts