Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that G&K were forced to add some sort of vapor recovery system to the 450s per the DOT and/or EPA. I have an interesting problem that my mechanic and I discovered.

I filled the tank, drove home, parked in the garage and went inside. 20 minutes later I came back out to the garage and noticed a puddle under the car. I could smell it was gasoline, went over and confirmed it (coolant tastes sweet, gas tastes gross). I then took it to my mechanic after realizing I'd need a lift to get a better view.

My mechanic topped off the tank, put it on the lift and saw something interesting. The fuel filler neck is not making the gas pump cut off soon enough during fuelling. This allows fuel to get into the vapor recovery system (that was not original from MB/Smart to the car). The fuel sits in there and then dumps out onto the belly pan and then the ground.

I'm going by later to get a firsthand look at this. And to hopefully come up with a solution. I hope to get pictures and post them here.

Anyone have a thoughts on potential fixes?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Looks like the leak is with the fuel evaporative / vapor recovery system that G&K fitted. Placed a call to G&K (two actually) asking for Edward and no response. Not sure I'm going to get any info from them. Unfortunate since G&K Auto are the shop that added the vapor recovery system to the cars.

I did find at Evilution that the fuel filters are a common source of a leak as well. We double checked this and it is in fact the vapor recovery system and not the fuel filter. We pulled one of the hoses off from the rectangle box and fuel came out of the hose. Not good if its for vapor recovery. :(

They will drop the fuel tank and take a closer look at where the line comes from the top of the tank and runs to vapor recovery box. I should be able to get some great pictures of the system then.

·
Super Moderator
11,304 Posts
I don't have a 450 but I find this interesting none the less. We have seen some problems with over-filling the tank and flooding the vapor canister, causing a Check Engine Light which needs a dealer to reset.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for chiming in Jim. That is exactly what seems to be happening. The canister (the rectangular box the hose runs to) is probably filling with fuel. Weird thing is, its supposed to trigger a check engine light but has not yet done so.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally spoke with Edward at G&K. He said it shouldn't be a difficult issue to fix. When my mechanic gets back in on Monday, we're to call Edward and start working through some solutions.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Any update Brian?

Larry, smart had nothing to do with the vapour recovery system in the G&K converted cars. This should be the sole responsibility of G&K to make right.

·
Registered
280 Posts
It is a real easy fix. G&K has a fix. I do them all the time. If you want pictures of the fix PM me.
It takes about $15.00 worth of parts.

Leroy

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Leroy thanks for your expertise. Might be best for the community if you could email me the pictures, I can put them on my server and then add them here?

Huronlad, yes just today as a matter of fact. Mechanic was able to drop the tank and saw the hole G&K put in the gas tank for fuel vapor recovery. Problem has two parts.

First, hole for check valve has 3 screw holes. All 3 screws were not seated into the screw holes properly which caused crack at time of original attachment. Cracks have now grown out from around hole edges towards edges of tank.

Second, check valve has failed. Fuel gets into vapor recovery line and heads to the FORD box and FORD sensor G&K used. Funny enough, original-from-the-factory bracket on fuel tank is still there, attached to nothing.

I will get more and better pictures tomorrow.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Leroy's fix is a great idea. Dare I say it should be done as preventative maintenance, Leroy?

My issue, however, is not solved by Leroy's fix. My leak is coming from where the check valve was plugged into the tank. The screw holes used to hold the gasket and the cover have cracked and are causing the sealant around the bung for the check valve to crack as well. Sealing it up with some sort of epoxy does not work and is not a good solution since the fuel tank is under pressure.

Looks like my fix is going to be buying a new 33 liter gas tank. :(

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have been doing the mods as a preventive measure. Most people do not notice they have a problem until they overfill the tank or they park on a hill and then they notice the fuel leak or the smell. The fix does not help if the tank is has a crack where the vent line goes into the tank. Plastic welding is another way of fixing the crack.
The fuel tank is not under pressure but will leak if there is fuel in it. The emission system that G&K installed pulls a vacuum on the tank and then it checks for vacuum leaks and set a code if it finds a leak when it does not hold a vacuum for a certain time.

Leroy

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,637 Posts
"Original (450) smart fortwo"

Seems like a Smart no charge fix if this is why I keep smelling raw gas fumes in the car. Me thinks they should have kept it in Europe. I am very disappointed in Smart Cars.
Larry,

Please note that this thread is "Original (450) smart fortwo" specific.

As described, this is not a smartUSA N.A. V.451 issue but rather a G&K converted Euro V.450 issue.

Unless you have an imported V.450 smart your gas fumes may be from a different source but definately should be checked out by your smart center or a local mechanic!

AND, while you may want to send your smart back to Europe - we are not done with ours yet!

Tom, top back, smiling . . .

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am currious as to the outcome of all the fuel tank vapor lead issues above stated caused by G & K modifications to the gas tank vapor recovery systems on the Smart Cars imported from Europe.

I have the same issue and I am assuming that a new tank from Europe is the only answer.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
I am currious as to the outcome of all the fuel tank vapor lead issues above stated caused by G & K modifications to the gas tank vapor recovery systems on the Smart Cars imported from Europe.

I have the same issue and I am assuming that a new tank from Europe is the only answer.
I think that I would try plastic welding first ..... just sayin' :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
It is a real easy fix. G&K has a fix. I do them all the time. If you want pictures of the fix PM me.
It takes about $15.00 worth of parts.

Leroy
Hey Leroy. I have the same problem with my Smart. Only had it a week and now the engine light has come on and gas leaking from under the car. If you could show this fix I certainly would appreciate it. Mine is 2008. Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Hey Leroy. I have the same problem with my Smart. Only had it a week and now the engine light has come on and gas leaking from under the car. If you could show this fix I certainly would appreciate it. Mine is 2008. Thanks
Hey, Apete:
Your car does not have the exact same problem, as it is a different year and model entirely and was never modified by G&K.
You may have a Gas leak, but it can be repaired by any smart center, since yours is an 08 and is a model 451.
good luck. Get thee to a smart center, so you are not a fire hazard.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts