Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
845 Posts
i routinely overfill my smart. have been getting P0497 errors for the last 4 years. i don't have any leaks or fuel odors, maybe this is the culprit ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi larry,

where do you get your smart fixed? My check engine light just came on and there appears to be fuel leaking from the car underneath the car. I usually go to mercedez in merriam, however that's expensive. Any suggestions for alternative places?

Thanks

Bianca

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fuel leak

Don't know the full history of my recently acquired 2005 Fortwo 450 Passion, but it was built in France, imported thru Canada, and I assume was modified by G&K or equivalent for import into the US.
I have a fuel leak from a white (plastic?) connector, approx 3/4" to 1" dia, on top of the fuel tank, that leaks only when tank is completely full, even with the engine off, so it's not under any pressure.
I cannot find a part name or number to order a replacement.
Any help with a part name/number/source would be appreciated.
Also looking for shop/parts manual for the 2005 ForTwo 450.
Thanks.
Bruce

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I would acquire a membership in Evilution.com which is the smart car encyclopedia. They may have a tutorial on your 450 concern. I would also join Clubsmartcar which is a Canadian smart owner's group that would have a lot of 450 knowledge. G & K, that federalized 450's in the US is located in Anaheim, CA. They no longer really support the 450 smart car but may be able to answer some of your questions. For now, I just wouldn't fill the tank until you can acquire the necessary parts.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Most of the time the plastic tank cannot be fixed. You buy a new one from smart and DO NOT INSTALL the vent. I replace the tanks all the time and that is the best way to fix the leaky tank. If you PM me I can inform you more on the problems with the G&K cars. With the leak in the tank do not park the car inside.

Leroy

21 - 31 of 31 Posts