Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When pulling into a parking lot I hit a pretty big bump. After I stopped in the parking spot, I smelled a strong fuel odor. I looked under the car and fuel was pouring out from a couple of places under the belly pan. When I shut the car off, the flow stopped except residual drippage.
What could I have knocked loose? What kind of fitting in on the fuel pressure line from the pump?
Any ideas?
How is the fuel pump plumbed?

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I might add that the car runs normally. I drove it a couple of miles and there were no unusual indications.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took a chance and drove it home. I suspect I'll have to drop the pan to see what the problem is.
Oh yeah, Barney! Warranty! Where are you Barney! >:D

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just finished pulling the tank. I found the pump fitting at the center of the pump broken. When I dropped the tank, the fuel line at the center of the pump was disconnected with the broken nipple attached. This is the smaller of the two lines. There's an "out" arrow at the fitting, but I wonder, if it is the outlet, how the car continued to run. Perhaps the fitting was just cracked when it was in place, and it separated when I lowered the tank.
It looks like it may have been cracked for a while if you look at the circumference of the break. Of course, it's possible that I transferred some greasy soil from my hands.
Anyway, it looks like it's time for a new pump.
Thankfully I had the use of a lift, which made it a whole lot easier. Unfortunately, I couldn't leave the car on the lift while I shop for a pump.
There are a couple new ones on ebay, but I have to see what MB wants because I can probably get it sooner.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
28,250 Posts
No doubt the dealer price will be more than eBay; the seller can overnight it to you for a few more $$. :)

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. I did see that one and followed his lead along with your photos and instructions.

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Wow, I just caught up to this thread...John, were you doing an episode of monster jam???
Sounds as if you might have bottomed out against the belly pan right about where the fuel pump is located in the tank and forced it up against the bottom of the car or something of that nature...Seems self inflicted, no warranty... Turbo still spins... lol

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I went back by there today and really don't see a dramatic bump. Must have just hit it right. I don't see how there could have been any direct force put on the fitting, other that the fuel line bouncing around. :shrug:

Turbo still spins nicely . . . Sorry Rich! >:D

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I just finished pulling the tank. I found the pump fitting at the center of the pump broken. When I dropped the tank, the fuel line at the center of the pump was disconnected with the broken nipple attached. This is the smaller of the two lines. There's an "out" arrow at the fitting, but I wonder, if it is the outlet, how the car continued to run.

The larger line is the fuel supply. The smaller is a vent line.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks RW.
The smaller line is the one that broke, but it still spewed out fuel under pressure at the rate of about 8 gallons in a little over 10 miles (maybe 20 minutes).

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't know if the fuel came out of the line or the pump. I suppose it could have come either way. Where does the small line originate? Is it return fuel from the engine? That would explain it.

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
No fuel return line from engine... The vent line is hooked up with a series of other lines that go to charcoal canister, filler neck and a host of other emission gadgets...

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I thought that there was no return line, but I still can't understand where all that fuel was coming from. I went from a full tank to about 2 gallons in about 20 minutes of run time.
Anybody have a real, live fuel system schematic?
Maybe I'm over-thinking this. I'm sure when I put the new pump in, it will all work fine, but I'd sure like to know.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts