Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
If anybody's interested, I found a description in the 2008 Technical Spec manual.
Maybe that's the surplus fuel that gets pumped via the regulator into the fuel pump buffer? :shrug:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
The excess fuel they are talking about going to the buffer is done internally of the pump assembly... I've taken one of those pumps completely apart that came out of Frankie and there is a lot of pieces and things going on inside that assembly... There is no repairing of the pump unit... Its all or nothing...

·
Registered
271 Posts
Wow I can not believe that turbo caused the fuel line to break like that. I guess it did cause a light bulb to burn out on Jets car tho. hahaha JK Hope you can get her bandaged up and on the road for the Mystery Run!

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
New pump is enroute. Ordered from an eBay seller that is a front for MB Orlando. Agreed to ship overnight. $265.00
This was my second attempt to get a pump. First was from MB Bloomfield Hills, the only Michigan smart dealer. I called this morning to check price and availability. I felt that if the price wasn't too bad, it would be worth it to me to get it in my grubby mitts today. One in stock for $303.xx. I told the guy that I wanted it, so please set it aside and I'll come up to pick it up. Fifty mile trip later, I'm told "the Service department took that pump about 20 minutes ago for a car that's being worked on in the shop. We can get you another one tomorrow." When I explained that time was critical, and that was why, instead of ordering it online, I borrowed a car to come up here because it's really important to me to get this part. He said thay could ship it to me once they got it in.
Sorry, but that's not good enough. If they would have asked me to pay over the phone to enable them to hold the part, I would have.
Not a big fan right about now.
Live and learn.

·
Registered
8,998 Posts
...since it is under the BMS life time warranty I'll say call Barney and tell him to get on Frankie and drive up there to change it for you...he'll be there in an hour or so....

Jetfuel...love my life warranty.....thanks Barney....

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Well, in the interest of full disclosure . . .

There I was. I was on my way to the store and was waiting to make a left turn into the lot, and waiting, and waiting. Finally a small gap opened up and I went for it. With the applecrate's ample accelertion capability it was a piece of cake. However I guess I never hit the transition from the street to the driveway at that angle and was surprised at the solid hit that seemed to have more of a jolt at the rear wheels.
This is the Detroit area. Potholes are a way of life. I actively try to avoid them, but invariably you catch one now and then. I won't say I've never had a jolt that hard from a pothole, but it was hard and unexpected.

I'm really glad that it happened where it did. It would have sucked on one of our road trips. Just did Iowa, Canada's coming, and then OTD right after.

You know, now that I think about it, maybe this is a warranty issue. Or maybe a recall for a warning decal installation reading:

"This car is capable of blinding acceleration. That feature, coupled with rough driveway transitions, may cause a pain in the arse." >:D

What do you think Jet? :burnout:

P.S. The blown fuse story was only funny AFTERWARDS. Not my proudest moment, but hilarious now!

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Send that warranty (bill) to: City of Detroit :wink:
That would really get me far! I'd have a better chance of getting Jet to pay for it :D.
It was actually in Belleville. Ironically, they just rebuilt that section of road. Beautiful job, except the driveway connector transitions! :shrug:

·
I'll figger this car out
303 Posts
New pump is enroute. Ordered from an eBay seller that is a front for MB Orlando. Agreed to ship overnight. $265.00
This was my second attempt to get a pump. First was from MB Bloomfield Hills, the only Michigan smart dealer. I called this morning to check price and availability. I felt that if the price wasn't too bad, it would be worth it to me to get it in my grubby mitts today. One in stock for $303.xx. I told the guy that I wanted it, so please set it aside and I'll come up to pick it up. Fifty mile trip later, I'm told "the Service department took that pump about 20 minutes ago for a car that's being worked on in the shop. We can get you another one tomorrow." When I explained that time was critical, and that was why, instead of ordering it online, I borrowed a car to come up here because it's really important to me to get this part. He said thay could ship it to me once they got it in.
Sorry, but that's not good enough. If they would have asked me to pay over the phone to enable them to hold the part, I would have.
Not a big fan right about now.
Live and learn.

Great info! Can you please send me a message so that I can get one of these pumps, if needed? I got a 451 that had serious fuel delivery problems.

I have not yet started my inquiry, but I'll be doing a lot on that car during the weekend.
Thanks again

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Look up MBpartsexpress.com. That's not where I got mine, but their price is better.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts