Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
2009 451 Rally Red, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40, Wix XP 51356, 185/55R15 tires, 44 psl
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much experimentation, I found a fuel mix that runs smooth, great mileage, and is reasonably cheap.

To ten gallons 89 Octane gas...
1 quart/liter E-85 (Octane booster)
1 ounce Sta-bil Marine formula (blue green) (Ethanol treatment)

Adjust the amounts as needed...

I just use a five gallon gas can, fill it with E-85 (105 Octane 85% grain alcohol), and add 1/2 ounce Sta-bil.
Every time I fill up, usually five gallons of 89 Octane, add 1/2 quart/liter from the can to the tank
(I use a Primus fuel bottle to transport the mix to the gas station)
Also using Mobil-1 0W-30 fuel economy oil in the crankcase.
Temp is down 20-25 degrees, and mileage up 5 mpg...

· Registered
477 Posts
The Easiest Best Fuel

Pull up to fuel pump at favorite station. Fill fuel tank with your favorite premium unleaded fuel. Pay for fuel. Drive away knowing that your car won't stop on the highway due to contaminated experimental fuel issues.:)

· Registered
4,830 Posts
Two of my personal favorites....Shell and Mobil 1. No mixing, no measuring, no nothing. Works great for me! I just add Chevron Techron fuel system system cleaner every 3k miles just to be extra sure everything is a okay with minimal deposits and maximum performance.

· Registered
11,903 Posts
After much experimentation, I found a fuel mix that runs smooth, great mileage, and is reasonably cheap.

To ten gallons 89 Octane gas...
1 quart/liter E-85 (Octane booster)
1 ounce Sta-bil Marine formula (blue green) (Ethanol treatment)

A..

So you add Ethanol and then add an additive to make it not a problem.

I just don't understand why.

I fill up with premium and get the same or better octane. If its about the few extra cents, isn't your time worth something?

· To the XCAPEPOD!
6,114 Posts
Averaged over how many tanks, and versus what other fuel?
That is the real question... :)

I've been trying to show improvement in my fuel mileage by comparing fill-ups from the same time periods in 2009/2010 before and after the modifications. I'm up to 24 tanks averaging 45.6 MPG in 2010 versus 32 tanks averaging 44.0 MPG in 2009. Both figures are only for commuting miles running 93 octane Amoco fuel (mostly).

· Lifetime Member
11,306 Posts
Minutes after the the original post of this thread was made I was about to reply with a "Put your flak vest on and be prepared". I was right. I can see mixing it up a little to get a 91 octane that the manual states is recommended.

If I would have posted I would have some data to go along my claims. Saying you get 5 mpg better isn't going to make any believers. I am getting better mileage right now because of climate changes, maybe that was it? Over how many tanks have you got the 5 mpg? Add some data to go with the post, I'm not a doubter but data to go with a claim makes it better.

· Registered
2009 451 Rally Red, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40, Wix XP 51356, 185/55R15 tires, 44 psl
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Drafting an urban assualt vehicle (Suburban, Escalade, other big SUV) the 40 miles to work and back. After I fill up, the gas gauge does not move off full until headed home the second day, at around 125 miles.

I drive mostly highway, and I have the tires hard, 280 KPA on the front I think, 300 is the max, and 225 on the back, 250 max)
Anticipate lights, draft, keep the AC off when possible, use an octane rating as low as I can (higher octane has less energy in it)

I can get pulled along so good the car is just above idle, and doing 60...

· Banned
4,884 Posts
Matt... the gas guage in these things are notoriously inaccurate...

You'll need an average over 5 - 10 full tanks of fuel... also think about documenting on fuelly.com

I'll be totally honest with you... the best hypermilers on here barely get above 50mpg. a jump to what you are claiming probably isn't possible.

· Lifetime Member
11,306 Posts
Honestly with all the perfect conditions and the stars in alignment I know it can be done. Tires overinflated (well past factory specs), drafting (as stated), ridge riding, ultra smooth road, the perfect hills, pulse & glide, using the optimum RPM/speed for the car and so on.

With a statement on your location being "Passing You" I can't help think that you are an aggressive driver though. Just a thought. Obviously if you are drafting you aren't passing. :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.