Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I had to replace my fuel pump because I got the dreaded "all bars blinking" issue. That is now resolved. However, now I'm only showing 6 of 8 bars even though the tank is full. Is there some sort of recalibration that needs to take place after replacing the fuel pump?

Thanks!

Kevin

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What does the dealer say about recalibration? :)
My local MB dealer is clueless to the Smart world. Also, in my 14 yrs of owning and maintaining a Mercedes SLK230, I've found interacting with those who do their own maintenance far more informative and less expensive than going to the dealer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Spoke to the dealer (not local as the local MB dealer doesn't deal with Smarts). They said the only thing that might cause it is a physical restriction of the float (doubtful) or the instrument panel hasn't reset yet. So...I'm going to drive it until the low fuel light comes on and refill. Hopefully that will reset the gauge. If not, I may be dropping the tank again. ...yea.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I had the entire tank replaced under warranty by Penske MB in Chandler on our 453, due to the errors with the gauge and capacity. On that model, the entire assembly is just that, not separate parts. We got a new fuel pump, tank, and sender unit. It still doesn't read correctly, but it is better than the original. They told me there is no calibration as such to be done. So...another Smart peccadillo.

S u b R o s a

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had the entire tank replaced under warranty by Penske MB in Chandler on our 453, due to the errors with the gauge and capacity. On that model, the entire assembly is just that, not separate parts. We got a new fuel pump, tank, and sender unit. It still doesn't read correctly, but it is better than the original. They told me there is no calibration as such to be done. So...another Smart peccadillo.

S u b R o s a
Wow...that stinks. The fuel pump and pressure sensor cost me about $300. Can't imagine what the whole ass'y would cost. :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts