Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just had dealer try and say "they cant swap the tanks anymore"

had previous dealership send me the bulletin info, and immediately the story changed "oh we do see there is a known issue"

if anyone else needs the info:

They need to look at the following LI document: LI47.10-P-063064

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
So.... is it actually supposed to fix anything at that point? Or is it basically still just the "you can try it if you want, but you'll still more than likely end up just the same" kind of deal?

·
Super Moderator
17,480 Posts
Wow, it's about time there's a real fix. :)

·
Registered
1,209 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Our '16 2nd build went into MB Chandler AZ yesterday for a limp mode problem. We opted to have the tank replaced as well, all under warranty.

Turns out a rubber hose 'failed', causing the loss of power. It might be done Thursday, will inform.

S u b R o s a

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thank you so much ive been dealing with the dealer about my tabk for awhile and as soon as i gave them the doc number a couple hrs later they ordered a new tank and be in next week

·
Registered
171 Posts
Good news all-around on our '16 Passion. It went to Chandler (AZ) Penske MB for a CEL and the wonky gastank. A airflow sensor was replaced, and a new tank went in. The service rep said the tanks were identical, but the sending units were updated and as they are a single item.

The gauge reads right now, and they replaced the air filter as well. Total cost, $0. That is really great customer service! :-}

S u b r o s a

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Bit of a late response....

I checked my service history, and the time i took it in for service nearly 2 years ago, that same bulletin number is referenced. Still go to fill up my car when it says i have say .5 gallons remaining, and can only put in about 6.5 until it stops, give or take a tenth or a few. Nowhere near the 8.7 that it should hold.
Sooooo.... i'm not sure if something was changed, but they kept the same reference number, or what's going on.

Are you able to fill it to the equivalent of about 8.7 galons, @SubRosa?

·
Registered
171 Posts
The gauge was rescaled in the new tank install, but it still shows reserve after using just over 6 gallons.

I'll carry a little can of gas soon and run it empty, then do the calculation. The service rep told me there will be more than 8 gal capacity so we'll see. If it lunches the fuel pump, MB gets to fix it on warranty.

SR

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bit of a late response....

I checked my service history, and the time i took it in for service nearly 2 years ago, that same bulletin number is referenced. Still go to fill up my car when it says i have say .5 gallons remaining, and can only put in about 6.5 until it stops, give or take a tenth or a few. Nowhere near the 8.7 that it should hold.
Sooooo.... i'm not sure if something was changed, but they kept the same reference number, or what's going on.

Are you able to fill it to the equivalent of about 8.7 galons, @SubRosa?

when mine says .5 left, i can fill up with 7.5+ on both my smarts now.

·
Registered
171 Posts
A final outcome on our new gas tank:

Reads full when full. Reads 0.0 when ready to accept 8.7 gallons.

The readout isn't linear, but I really don't care as the important thing is knowing when to hit the petrol pump.

Done deal.

S u b R o s a

·
Registered
374 Posts
just had dealer try and say "they cant swap the tanks anymore"

had previous dealership send me the bulletin info, and immediately the story changed "oh we do see there is a known issue"

if anyone else needs the info:

They need to look at the following LI document: LI47.10-P-063064
I got into the habit of counting to 17 once the nozzle clicks the 1st time. Let it fill up till it burps the 2nd time, and top off after 10 second cook off. Fills up everytime.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts