Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had this made for towing my Smart behind our motorcoach. Just got home from a 1800 mile trip and it worked like a charm. When we arrive at our destination, we simply unsnap the bra and we're ready to go. No cleaning of the windshield and no rock chips.

David & Teresa

·
aka '24-42'
930 Posts
I had this made for towing my Smart behind our motorcoach. Just got home from a 1800 mile trip and it worked like a charm. When we arrive at our destination, we simply unsnap the bra and we're ready to go. No cleaning of the windshield and no rock chips.
Very nice !
I think better than anything commercially available and guaranteed to be a lot cheaper

Congratulations

Donald LaFavor

·
Registered
73 Posts
That is a good looking tow cover.
What material was used and who made the cover?
I'm getting ready to tow our Passion and I really don't like the protection choices offered by RoadMaster and/or Blue Ox.
Really nice.
Pete

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went to a local boat shop that makes and repairs canvas covers. It is a light, waterproof canvas. He made the cover to fit the car. Cost $200.

David & Teresa

·
Registered
35 Posts
Looks nice. Did they have to put snaps or fasteners on the smart. Looks like the top part is just trapped by the closed door. How did they connect the bottom part?

Willie

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Velcro inside the door so one person can put it on. You're right, once the doors are closed they hold the top in place. Snaps inside the wheel wells and one snap in the front.

David & Teresa

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is. Soft canvas. Our first long trip and everything's fine. It fits snug. I suppose if things were wiggling around back there it could scuff. You could probably make one with the soft backed vinyl if you wanted. I wonder if it would stretch a little with the sun beating down on it which could make it loose. Canvas doesn't do that.

David & Teresa

·
Registered
3 Posts
Something to watch out for, I flat towed a Saturn with a bra, on one trip to California sand and small gravel found its way underneath. Luckily didn't scratch the paint but after that I towed braless. Keep an eye on your edges that they stay snug. Your cover looks good.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I think we're gonna look for a windshield cover for our Cabrio. It already has a couple little rock chips on the glass. No apparent issues with the front end excluding the windshield itself so far. It's tough back there in the slop .....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Or two?

We just had a problem where the hood worked loose in high crosswinds and was drug on the ground for a few miles. Now we have to replace the hood (which is more expensive than the cover!).

This would fit the bill of making sure the hood doesn't work loose again, and protect the windshield.

Thanks!
Kelley Huxtable
Augusta, KS

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion - but we were really looking at something which would also cover the windshield and headlights while we towed our Smart.

We'll keep looking.

Kelley Huxtable
Augusta, KS

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have one for our Brabus (FULL BRA) custom made in Florida by Pat at Creative Canvas in Altamonte Springs, FL 407-661-1211 The BRA covers the entire front from the bottom to the roof above the windows. Locks inside of the doors. The price is $275. Please give Pat a call and tell him Charlotte sent you. Looked for this Boat Canvas Man for over three months finally found him.

Charlotte
2009 Brabus (Black Beauty)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Think I would try to have ours made from the same material that the motor home mask is made of. A felt backed leatherette material which does not scratch the motor home..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts