Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember seeing a post about making a fuse switch using a fuse buddy. I can not find it though. can anyone help me out in finding this? thanks

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, It was a fuse buddy wired to a toggle switch so the circuit can be switched off but still be fused.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep. Made one to night. I got the multi tester and soder out and had at it. Even though it was very hot to day, I thought I better make it or else there would be snow flying and I would be saying....I wish I would have made that switch.

I like this type since it would be hard for someone to switch it on the fly. Being under the dash and all.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I've pulled the fuse and put it back in while the car was running... No issues.
The point isn't that it sometimes works okay. The reason we say not to do it with the car running is because an unwanted surge of power when you flip that switch could destroy your ECM and render your car useless. Sure you can do it, and 90% of the time it will work fine. But every time you flip the switch with the system powered up, you run the risk. It's entirely your choice about taking the gamble. Just remember, it's Russian roulette you are playing with your ECM and not poker.

~Sy

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
The reason we say not to do it with the car running is because an unwanted surge of power when you flip that switch could destroy your ECM and render your car useless.
I see this as 100% conjecture. Who is "we" and is there any actual empirical evidence or design knowledge to suggest this is the case? For instance, turning on a lamp when the wall switch is on is no different than turning the lamp on before the wall switch.

Better safe than sorry, sure. But it's conjecture unless "we" knows something more.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Since we're talking about a fuse, doesn't it make sense that it would be able to be turned off without issue in any case? The fuse can fail after all... When the switch is thrown, it looks like a failed fuse. Done.

Now re-enabling it without powering down, that's iffy. But considering that the ECM and such are on for a couple minutes after they key is removed, and a fuse could be replaced by the user in that time. I'm betting it can be replaced safely via switch.

Personally, I like the functions fuse 11 provides, even in the snow.

·
aka '24-42'
930 Posts
I see this as 100% conjecture. Who is "we" and is there any actual empirical evidence or design knowledge to suggest this is the case? For instance, turning on a lamp when the wall switch is on is no different than turning the lamp on before the wall switch.

Better safe than sorry, sure. But it's conjecture unless "we" knows something more.
Good for you John !

I have witnessed conjecture put forth time after time here on this forum for 3 years. You should have been here before 1-1-08 to read what "We" had to say about the 451 and to this day, the "We" who don't really know 'beans' or have had any experience with the 450. I have known for quite some time that "We" don't know "Ship" (preceding word edited for public consumption).

I wouldn't have nearly the disgust for "We" if they would label their conjecture with " I think or I believe".

Donald LaFavor

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
But maybe I was hasty. Rereading the post, the statement that "90% of the time it will work fine" suggests that there actually is some empirical evidence to back this up. After all, percentages were used!

I've learned to use the word "Ship" as well. My Navy friends get upset when I use the other word... "Boat."

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
But maybe I was hasty. Rereading the post, the statement that "90% of the time it will work fine" suggests that there actually is some empirical evidence to back this up. After all, percentages were used!

I've learned to use the word "Ship" as well. My Navy friends get upset when I use the other word... "Boat."
Ships float, boats submerge :D

·
aka '24-42'
930 Posts
Ships & Boats

You can you put a boat on a ship but, you can't put a ship on a boat.

Donald LaFavor

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
I made one but haven't installed it because the Cooper Bussman tech support guys say that it's rated for 20 amps. (Fuse 11 is 25 amps.) The very helpful fellow I've exchanged emails with believes that's due to the "quickconnect" part of it but wasn't absolutely sure. Anyone have any real world experience to share?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts