Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had an issue with my fuse box located under driver's side dash on 2013 passion. I was smelling something burning which turned out to be the main lead wire going to the fuse box. The one with 10mm nut.

I removed the end of the wire and only a few inches was in bad shape.

I got a new 4gauge wire from autozone and ran it from the battery over to the fuse box. I got some new washers and nuts to tighten everything down firmly. I left the original wire unhooked and disconnected from the fuse box and battery.

My new wire is doing good everything is working nothing is getting hot.

Just wondering if the wire going from the battery to the fuse box is straightforward like it appears to be?

The other wire that is actually part of the battery post is that running from the alternator? I am having no problems just curious.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,309 Posts
Luckily you found it before it got worse! my 2008 burned up because of a problem in the fuse panel. had only 17,000 miles on it and it went up in flames! (well most of it)
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
29,024 Posts
Was the original wire the one with the SAM fuse in it? Any idea what caused the overheating? :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
Sounds like a bad termination of the fuse box wire end. Aren't you still at the tail end of your 4-year warranty? If so, I'd ask them to make it like new again. You're very lucky the car didn't burn up. It's a case where the normal operating amps flowed, wouldn't trip out a fuse, and yet lots of heat in the bad connection in normal operation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Warranty went out the 4th.

It was only getting very hot and burning up the insulation on the wire when I turned on the headlights.

I could feel the heat in the side of the fuse box which I guess is called the SAM. Only the little red plastic cover going over the end of the wire that says smart on it was burned up. The SAM was not hurt at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,635 Posts
The large red wire on the battery goes to the starter and has a 200 amp fuse in-line. The red wire on the generator output goes to the starter. The smaller red wire on the battery positive terminal goes to the SAM, or fuse/relay panel, and has a 125 amp fuse in-line.

Usually when a wire overheats at a connection with no failure farther downstream of the connection it is cause by excessive resistance at the connection. That could be due to a loose terminal, a poorly crimped one or corrosion inside the wire insulation.

No smoke, no fire, no problem. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
I'd rework that replacement wire to get the original inline fuse in the wiring. Otherwise a short in that wire later, will definitely start a fire. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The large red wire on the battery goes to the starter and has a 200 amp fuse in-line. The red wire on the generator output goes to the starter. The smaller red wire on the battery positive terminal goes to the SAM, or fuse/relay panel, and has a 125 amp fuse in-line.

Usually when a wire overheats at a connection with no failure farther downstream of the connection it is cause by excessive resistance at the connection. That could be due to a loose terminal, a poorly crimped one or corrosion inside the wire insulation.

No smoke, no fire, no problem. :D
The end of the wire where the terminal was crimped was badly corroded.

There are 2 wires one small one large both terminated into one end that hooks to a bolt on the battery cable. If one of those goes to the starter how is my car starting?

I hooked a single 4 gage wire from the battery to the SAM, and left that factory wire unhooked completely.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,635 Posts
The end of the wire where the terminal was crimped was badly corroded.

There are 2 wires one small one large both terminated into one end that hooks to a bolt on the battery cable. If one of those goes to the starter how is my car starting?

I hooked a single 4 gage wire from the battery to the SAM, and left that factory wire unhooked completely.
The large battery cable goes to the starter, not one connected to the stud on the battery terminal. You should connect you wire from the SAM to the 125 amp fuse or a in-line substitute. Otherwise a short circuit will overheat the wiring and you get a melt-down.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top