Smart Car of America Forum banner

Do you have a Smart Pure with fabric seats that have started to fray or get fuzzy?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:mad: I think, as a previous tread was going all over the place, that I specify what kind of seats I am talking about. There seem to be 3 basic kinds of seats in Smarts. Leather, some kind of nylon mesh material on the Passion, and the fabric that they put on the Pure. It is the fabric on the Pure that is giving me fits. At 300 miles it began to fray and get fuzzy where you turn and slide to get out of the vehicle. I think they us a cheap inferior fabric that looks and feels great when the car is delivered. but as you get in and out over time it frays. It looks like the fabric in one of those infomericals for the trimmer for sweaters. It looks like an electric razor for frayed sweaters. Anyway, mine began at 300 miles and has continued to get worse. I am afraid that if I let this go in a couple of years it will look like my old teddy bear. fuzzy, fuzzy. The dealer has agreed that it is covered by the warranty and they will put in new seats. The same seats .... well the same thing will happen again. I offered to put money into the pot and they offered me leather for $1300 .. 10% of the cost of the car .. give me a break. I filled out the 8 page questionaire from the survey outfit on my experience with the car and got a phone call about the seats. I have not heard anything back. All of you out there who have PUREs and frayed seats please say something to the dealer. Smart USA claims it is not a big problem as they do not have many complaints... hence they do not see it as an issue. Let them know it is an issue.

Does anyone have a name and address for someone I could contact up the Smart ladder. I am not going to let this go. I realize it is an inexpensive car, but it is supposed to be a new car and I LOVE the thing.

Dave :eek:

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
Shortly after I got my Pure, I afdded seatcovers since I often leave work with 'less than clean' clothing. I purchased a large towel in a reasonably close color and placed it over the lower seat cushion. The towel was about a buck. No fraying or fuzzy seats with over 35,000 miles.

I'd say if they will cover the seats under warranty, go for it and then use the money from your pot and buy some good quality seat covers from Smart Madness or ?? It would be much less expensive than the $1300 for leather seats.

Check this out:
http://www.smartmadness.com/servlet/the-1/smart-car-seat-covers/Detail

·
Registered
409 Posts
I went for the interior protection warranty on the pure because of this. I don't usually buy extended warranties on anything, but heard ahead of time about this on the pures. Supposedly they will replace up to one seat a year for about any reason- stains/ rips, etc. I am going to the dealer today to get pure ready for 1100 mile trip next weekend- and will be asking about the seats, as I have minor fraying on one, also a stain on passenger side. (never give a ride to a youngster that has junior mints in his back pocket, btw)
Anyhow, I'll let you know what they have to say at dealer.
Brian

·
Registered
409 Posts
We talked to the dealer today and he had never heard of this problem. We are going to take ours back in the spring to have the stain and fraying addressed.

Brian

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brian thanks for the link to Smart Madness. I have ordered from them before. I am going a to have the dealer replace the seats and then put the covers on. However, I am still going to chase Smart USA. The fabric is cheap and I m not going to let them get away with selling me such a cheap product. Thanks again.

BTW The guys at Smart Madness are really great to work with. The only problem for me is shipping across the country takes a week.

·
Super Moderator
17,653 Posts
A used pure was sitting at my dealer on the day of my first test drive (waaaayyyy back), it had about 10k on the clock and the seats looked mint to me.

Any pics?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is only the Pures

This fuzzy seat stuff to be only with the gray fabric seats on the 2010 pure. I bought mine in July of 2010. I wonder if it could only be with recently made Pures???? My seats started to show wear after only 300 miles. I will try to get some pics and post them. I love the vehicle but it should not show wear after 300 miles. I have a 2000 vette and the seats are like new. Yes, they are leather ... I only mention this to demonstrate that I take care of my vehicles.

Thanks for the feedback..... Dave:)

·
Registered
409 Posts
For the record, our '09 pure has almost 16k on it, and both the fraying and the stain are on the passenger side. The fraying is on the outer edge where people pivot to get in and out. It is minor, but noticeable.
Brian

·
Registered
793 Posts
While mine have not frayed like some describe, they do get these tiny fuzz balls on the seat near the seatbelt buckle.. just a tad forward of it. I know these are caused by getting out of the car as that is where your rump rotates and jean pockets or the such rub there.

The solution will cost you a whole 8 bucks! go to Jo Anns or a arts and crafts store and buy a sweater shaver. The look like a old electric shaver for men. The work like a charm and will keep the seats looking like new even after years of wear!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Fuzzy Seats

Our Cabrio is doing the same thing, 6k on the car and it's on the drivers side.
Finally figured it out, the rear pockets on most of my shorts are velcro and the velcro is causing the problem.
Talked with San Antonio Smart Dealer, they called it fair wear & tear.
I have 247000 miles on our Subaru and the seats still look new.
I still Luv the Smart tho!
Rich :cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts