Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,264 Posts
My old Garmin always wants me to drive up one way streets the wrong way, and take dead end streets. Plus it wants me to occasionally drive around the block for no reason... maybe it needs an update???

·
Registered
6,934 Posts
Is this for all Garmin models? Notice last year mine didn't have the location for a newer hotel updated in it. Just used the maps on my iPhone. It was free.:)

·
Registered
763 Posts
I'm on my third Garmin. I tried a TomTom for the car as my fifth GPS, and it's OK. But, I was looking at whether or not to upgrade my Garmin handheld for a trip to Europe. The short answer for those with Garmin devices is that when you look at the upgrades/updates, there should be a tab for 'compatible devices.' Make sure your device is in there.

My 60CSX handheld has mapping capability, but no voice (and some other functions) but is compatible with the most current upgrade. My earlier devices do not have mapping, so they are basically limited to maritime or air use since they provide coordinate-based vectors - there's actually nothing to upgrade.

My question was, is it better to buy the UK chip for my US handheld or just buy a cheap car GPS when I get to destination? That would leave me with a UK unit I would need to upgrade with a US chip. Either way I buy one upgrade - possibly two. But the important message is that the backward compatibility seems to reach back pretty far.

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
My old Garmin always wants me to drive up one way streets the wrong way, and take dead end streets. Plus it wants me to occasionally drive around the block for no reason... maybe it needs an update???
I had a GPS like that. If I had turned right onto a one way street like it said to do, I would have had a head on collision with a tractor trailer. :eek:

I am going to try the Google Maps on my tablet computer, have it linked to my smart phone. :nerd: The tablet computer has a bigger screen than my smart phone. :nerd:

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I always preferred the Garmin brand in a GPS. Bought a Rand McNally for my motorhome and it's the most user UNFRIENDLY device I've ever used. As for the car, I have Sygic navigation & Google Maps on my smartphone, and with constant map & feature updates, that's what I always use. The Sygic app even has a HUD system for night driving. Projects up onto your windshield and works great! Cost me $4 for the HUD add-on. I have two identical Garmin GPSes that are pretty old, so no free map updates, and I can buy a brand new Nuvi with lifetime map updates for what it would cost me to purchase a map update for ONE GPS. :O

1 - 11 of 11 Posts