Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to deactivate the seatbelt and/or door warning buzzers? The wires look all taped up under the seat and I'm not about to start wiring things together unless I properly know what to do (later Smarts have a simple connector plug that you can wire to itself). I would also be satisfied if I could find the speaker under the dash, I can't seem to find it but sometimes I want to jam a screwdriver through it (or just disconnect it).

Disclaimer: I drive with my seatbelt 100% of the time, so no advice about seatbelt wearing, please. I often have to leave my car while it's running (I am forgetful), and it's awful for my passenger(s) when the buzzer is going off. I usually click the seatbelt when I leave, but I'd rather just kill the buzzer. I don't need it to remind me about seatbelts and doors, I have eyes for that. And I also realize that most states (mine included) will fail a car at inspection if it does not have a seatbelt buzzer.

·
Super Moderator
11,304 Posts
How about using a seatbelt extension? you could leave it plugged in and disconnect the end from the belt side. Might work...
The buzz is generated fromthe computer as is the click sound from the turn signals. I doubt anyone can tell you how to disable it, (I thnk it is a legal type thing)

I thought putting it in park shut off the seatbelt alarm (??)

·
aka '24-42'
930 Posts
Does anyone know how to deactivate the seatbelt and/or door warning buzzers? The wires look all taped up under the seat and I'm not about to start wiring things together unless I properly know what to do (later Smarts have a simple connector plug that you can wire to itself). I would also be satisfied if I could find the speaker under the dash, I can't seem to find it but sometimes I want to jam a screwdriver through it (or just disconnect it). .
I disconnected mine two years ago. you can reconnect it anytime. It's the two wire plug under the seat. The car is not affected in any way other than beautiful silence.

BTW: Phlamethrowers, save it for someone who might listen.

Donald LaFavor

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Easy Solution

Actually I just figured it out. Simpler than I thought. I was looking for the buzzer (I ended up finding it above the trunk release, but it's really hard to reach and would be tough to reconnect), but I should have just looked at the wiring coming from the seat belt latch. The new Smarts have a simple connector that you can wire to itself (Evilution - Seat Belt Reminder Alarm), but the old G&K Smarts can just be unplugged. Slide the seat forward, pull the wire out from the carpet, unwrap the tape, and unplug both plugs. This way you keep the door buzzer working, but the seatbelt buzzer is totally cut off. Easy to reconnect, too.

Thanks Jim for the suggestion, but the old pre-2008 Smarts don't have park, the buzzer buzzes even when the car is not running, just on. It's awful. The importer put the most annoying, loud, high-pitched buzzer in the world in there, too.

So anyway, if anyone searches for this and finds it, I'm gonna be the (2nd) to say "Don't drive with your seatbelt off!" Only do this if you often find yourself working on the car with the power on, or you leave passengers in the car and don't want them to not be able to hear the radio or use A/C. Always wear your seat belt, even if you're just driving down the street. You never know who's gonna not be watching the road and crunch up your little Smart. If you can't remember that without a buzzer, then don't disconnect it. Drive safe.

-hoov23

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
you could wire a little toggle switch with a mood LED and then flip your switch when you run out with engine running and switch it back when you are back in the car with belt on - just a compromise suggestion....

·
Registered
8,999 Posts
you could wire a little toggle switch with a mood LED and then flip your switch when you run out with engine running and switch it back when you are back in the car with belt on - just a compromise suggestion....
...best answer/solution yet...
...fastturb does not have to take the test...

jetfuel...

·
Registered
673 Posts
lebikerboy,

I wondered about that. Is it Neutral and handbrake for the rest of the world in the 2008+ 451 ForTwos?

Here comes some hopefully funny sarcasm:
No park?!? Now thats just insane. Next you're going to tell me that the rest of the world is using a simple, sensical system of measurement based on multiples of 10!!
End of hopefully funny sarcasm.

:D

·
Registered
673 Posts
Great suggestion fastturb. I've been thinking about how to implement that for a while now. Well I've mostly been thinking about where to mount the switch and LED. 450 owners, if you have a blank where the fog light switch would go, maybe that spot is a good candidate for the switch. Looks stock but requires running some wires under the carpets.

Another spot might be on the side of the seat facing the center tunnel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
451 model: disconnecting warning buzzer

I disconnected mine two years ago. you can reconnect it anytime. It's the two wire plug under the seat. The car is not affected in any way other than beautiful silence.

Donald LaFavor
Does anyone know which wires, I have a 2013 Passion model? I figure there are wires for the heating element and the seatbelt. Not sure which ones I want. Maybe I should just unplug stuff til it doesn't work then puff I found it....

(I wear my belt i just hate the sound of the buzzer when i move the car around to the back yard...)

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Actually it's just a gentle beep that reminds us that the belt should be worn and if one has the patience the beeping will go faster and faster and then is silent.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts