Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Pre-2008 Models Here

HGB and SmartCarol:

This thread is for smart fortwos that are pre-2008 model years. they were imported from Europe, converted by G&K in California. During the conversion, G&K added the most annoying sound ever in a car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Does anyone know which wires, I have a 2013 Passion model? I figure there are wires for the heating element and the seatbelt. Not sure which ones I want. Maybe I should just unplug stuff til it doesn't work then puff I found it....

(I wear my belt i just hate the sound of the buzzer when i move the car around to the back yard...)
I followed the instructions on Evilution for my 2013 Smart... I stripped both ends of a thin gauge piece of wire, unclipped the set of wires with the blue fastener under the seat, and inserted the wire to complete the circuit and disable the buzzer.

The good news: this disables the seatbelt alarm.

The bad news: this also seems to cause a fault in the airbag system. When the seatbelt alarm is bypassed, the airbag light goes on. This light/error can remedied if I plug the blue connectors back together, but then I'm back at square one.

I was really careful not to mess with the other two sets of plugs under the seat (airbag & seat heater)... anyone have a solution on how I can disable the seatbelt buzzer AND keep full airbag functionality?

DISCLAIMER: I do always wear my seatbelt, but I hate it beeping at me regardless.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I can confirm, on my 2014 smart electric, others likely the same, that the blue connector is the one to unplug, under both seats. Must be the seat occupancy sensor switch. Successfully kills the ear piercing squeal without cutting or modifying anything. You are welcome :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just noticed the note above regarding airbag error, will watch for this and report back if it occurs.
Further thinking, if indeed this tells the car nobody's in the seat, so don't deploy airbag for that seat in a crash, the wire cutters for the buzzer are next.
I just noticed the thread was only for pre-2008 cars, but I can say for sure, the newer cars here in the states have an ear piercing buzzer on startup. It's like 3x louder than the other buzzer one hears occasionally. So I think it might help others.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts