Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all first-generation gasoline powered smart owners!

You may know that I have a list of all Canadian 450 cdis and where they are. The time has now come that I would like to do the same for the 450 gasoline powered cars that were imported to the USA and converted by G&K.

So far I have 50 cars on the list, but that is only about 5% of the total. So I will appeal to you, the US 450 owners, to help. If you could send me a private message with the last 6 digits of your VIN, and some basic information on the car like the body style (Coupé or cabriolet) colours etc, that would be really helpful. Or post that information here if you are OK with that.

My goal is to end up with a list of all 450s that are in Canada and the USA.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
2005 Passion cabriolet, originally was Ruby red, was painted orange now is red with silver tridion had coreline wheels.
Last 6 numbers are: 239965.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Super, thanks very much!

Incidentally, in Canada a Diesel with that serial number would have been a 2006 model.

My BRABUS diesel is 285108 for the record.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Including this one, I have 81 now. However, would this actually be a legitimate G&K conversion, or is it a VIN switcheroo with a regular 450?

xblade

There is a photo of a G&K type VIN plate riveted to the instrument panel as in a regular G&K 450 conversion, and the number is WME01MC012H101414.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Hey MIke, do you know exactly how many 450s were imported and converted? The answer I always read is: over a 1,000. Do you have the exact number?

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ron Gaus told me there were 1026 cars converted by G&K after the ZAP series was done, and that these 1026 cars were mostly 2005 and 2006 models, with a few 2004s and 2007s on either end.

The ZAP cars were also converted by G&K and the best estimate I have seen for those is "around 300". So I guess about 1300 for all of the 450 gasoline engined cars is correct. Most of the "300" early cars were 2001-2003 models, most of which would have had the smaller 599 cc engine.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The total now runs at 88, two of which are gliders (no engine). So I am probably at about 6.6% of the total of G&K cars.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got twenty more today. So: 108 cars, of which three are non-G&K gliders.

Thus the total of G&K (including ZAP) cars is 105, or about 8.1% of the total.

I have gotten most of these from the WWW, so please, do help if you can!

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Hey Mike, is there a way to know which car number is which car? Most likely they weren`t numbered but I had to ask :D

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, to get into the Register I need the VIN or the serial number (which allows me to reconstruct the VIN). For each of the VINs in the spreadsheet, I have some other details like colours, location, options and so on, not comprehensive information for all cars, mind you.

In a few cases I know who owns the car, but that will always remain private, for obvious reasons!

So is there something I can help with?

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I found five more today on the www, but the pickings are getting slim, so soon I am going to have to just watch the Web for new "for sale" postings from time to time. But, 113 out of 1300 is not half bad, well over 8% of the total, already.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh I see, the "DOT release number", well if you send a PM to rgaus, he will have that information for you.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
ClubsmartCar now has our free G&K Registry online. Please help us make corrections, additions and updates. Read the disclaimer and then enjoy. The database can be accessed here:

link to CsC G&K 450 Registry

It should be visible whether you are a member at CsC or not.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Thought you had my smart, Mike. WME4503321J043280, 2003 Passion coupe, Silver Tridion, River Silver and grey interior. San Bernardino, CA. Ron.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts