Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Gas cap door doesn’t lock. While the flap is open if I hit lock w/ key fob I can see the lock turns all the way in and when I hit unlock it opens all the way BUT when I hit lock with fuel door closed the lock doesn’t turn all the way so the door wont lock. At first I thought maybe the part that the lock hooks over is in the way but there’s no way for me to push it in further. Thinking the actuator itself is too weak/failing? Any way to test it? Don’t want to go through trouble of replacing with new one to find that it still wont work.

Note: I can open and close the lock itself manually with finger pressure

· Registered
2 Posts
Gas cap door doesn’t lock. While the flap is open if I hit lock w/ key fob I can see the lock turns all the way in and when I hit unlock it opens all the way BUT when I hit lock with fuel door closed the lock doesn’t turn all the way so the door wont lock. At first I thought maybe the part that the lock hooks over is in the way but there’s no way for me to push it in further. Thinking the actuator itself is too weak/failing? Any way to test it? Don’t want to go through trouble of replacing with new one to find that it still wont work.

Note: I can open and close the lock itself manually with finger pressure
I'm thinking that your door is out of alignment.

· Registered
273 Posts
Have you or somebody else removed the rear bumper/fenders assembly recently for any type of work on a car and put it back?
This may explain it if something didn't get pushed/placed in place while putting it back together.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you or somebody else removed the rear bumper/fenders assembly recently for any type of work on a car and put it back?
This may explain it if something didn't get pushed/placed in place while putting it back together.
Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Doesn’t matter, the car got totaled. It’s in a garage in Woodland Hills. And I may be putting it on Facebook Marketplace. If anyone is interested in picking it up and parting it out shoot me a message with an offer. FYI it still turns on and runs.

· Administrator
30,045 Posts
View attachment 72809

Doesn’t matter, the car got totaled. It’s in a garage in Woodland Hills. And I may be putting it on Facebook Marketplace. If anyone is interested in picking it up and parting it out shoot me a message with an offer. FYI it still turns on and runs.
If you are selling, parting out, etc. it needs to be listed on the forum Parts Marketplace, with pricing - and no links to being offered for sale on other sites, per the Marketplace rules: Classified Forum Rules - MUST READ BEFORE POSTING ITEMS... :)

· Registered
180 Posts
Actuator is Hella part "Micro Actuator". part# 8961-04 Q03 / 23.02.2011220:21 for Model 451 of Smart Car.
Gas cap/ hinged part # A 451 817 48 20 all plastic part maybe broken, it engaged into Micro Actuator, keep cover closed.
Have entire assembly in dark gray color in my collection... one has to remove quarter panel to get it gas filler assembly.
Want to same such panel replacement for a warm day! Plastics parts are stiff in cold weather.

· Registered
180 Posts
Smart gas cap assembly: servo by Hella - top view part#. Assuming - there is no wiring issues, servo maybe causing problems with locking gas cap door. Entire assembly is behind quarter panel on passenger side.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts