Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I have a 2012 smart passion fortwo. A couple of tanks ago my gas gauge started blinking after I topped it off. I learned from reading online that I should never top it off! Now the guys working on my car are trying to tell me that I need to replace the gas pump which would end up costing me $600, which I can't afford!

I've been using the trip meter after a full tank and filling back up around 315 miles. I'm really thinking that this has to be something besides the gas pump, why would I need to replace my fuel pump if its working?

Is there anything else they could check? maybe the wiring or the fuel level sender?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

·
Super Moderator
28,979 Posts
Welcome to SCoA! When you say the gas gauge is blinking, do you mean the linear display of bars, or the gas pump icon that blinks when the tank is running out? :)

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
The fault could be the fuel level sensor in the fuel pump module or it could be a faulty connection in or to the instrument cluster. There is probably a fault code stored in the instrument cluster that can be read by a capable scan tool. Capable scan tool means not a generic code reader.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,186 Posts
The fuel pump assembly has the fuel quantity float/sending unit incorporated into it. There isn't anything mechanical in the indicator, so they're assuming that it's the sender. Could be, but before anything else, I'd suggest that you disconnect the battery for about 10 minutes and reconnect. See if that might clear the problem. Electronics and computers dictate almost everything in these cars. Many ailments have been cured with a simple reboot.
Good luck!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had a similar problem with my '08. the 'blinking' and misreading of bars would happen in hot humid weather. It lasted for about 3 summers than the problem mysteriously went away. I never found out what was causing it but i would use my km readings to determine when i had to refuel. I wouldn't spend the $600. Just see if it will get better this fall or just live with it. It will become second nature to use the mileage as the indicator.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts