Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2009 451 Rally Red, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40, Wix XP 51356, 185/55R15 tires, 44 psl
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Grab your wallet folks, looks like gas is going up 25 cents or more.

Look for $3.25 or more by next summer.

I may start looking to converting the other car (a Saturn) to an E-85 vehicle.

All you have to do is change the dwell time of the fuel injectors.

·
Registered
2017 453 Passion ED/EQ
363 Posts
$3.25? $3.25?

Where the heck are you living???

I'm already paying $ 3.33 to $3.49

By next summer I expect the price to be in the high $4 range...

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
I used to have a "flex fuel" vehicle. Unless e-85 was $1.00 less a gallon it was not worth it because of the hit you take on mileage. And as soon as we started to see that difference BAM!! Corn prices jumped and so did the cost of E85. Traded that vehicle for the smart 2 years ago and never looked back

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
i hate this! Diluting gasoline with ethanol will only jack up the price of frosted flakes and niblets! Corn cartel is exacting revenge for all you people not buying High Fructose Corn Syrup Colas and Faygoes.

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Faygoes?

Faygoes? I'm not buying this! Fay goes where?

Confused. In the south, we know where Fay goes. Don't go there!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Gaseous thoughts & teachings from the Cdr.

Forget Ethanol. My local dealer's premium fuel has none since there are more outboard engines on boats around here than cars. Those engines hate ethanol. I'll push my smart to this station if I have to.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I have seen the reports that fuel may go to $3 per gallon. Shoot, we here in CT have been paying over that for a very long time. Now average for us here is about 3.50. I would love to see 3.00 again. Of course with the smart it is still a lot cheaper to fill up than the rest of the vehicles I see at the pumps. Let the fun continue

·
Registered
67 Posts
$3.25? $3.25?

Where the heck are you living???

I'm already paying $ 3.33 to $3.49

By next summer I expect the price to be in the high $4 range...
You and me both. I'm seeing those prices here in San Diego already. It's up to $4 in Coronado.

The Smart will once again be in the limelight, the good light and the bad.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Gas prices will be between $4-5.00/gal by summer. Watch the news 'cause before the end of 2012, the Euro will crash and two to three weeks after that the dollar will follow.

·
He's not mine
9,619 Posts
Remember September 2008?

Not a question of if ... just a question of when, today's prices will seem very, very low.

It seems like a long time ago when Premium was less than $2.00 per gallon, but it was only about seven years ago. From 2004 to 2008 the average price doubled (then fell back a bit). Entirely conceivable that that doubling (or more) will happen again ... but starting from today's new norm. And each spike will establish a new, higher, "norm".

It's a limited resource. The United States burns 44% of gasoline produced.
We burn it as though there's no end to the supply, and with no earnest ambitions to break the addiction. Some even have their heads stuck in the sand and deny there will be an end. Of course, we'll be forced into change as it eventually becomes prohibitively expensive. The transition would certainly be less traumatic if a bit more foresight was used.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Diesel is around 3.30 here right now in Palm Springs. Still makes our local Valero guy chuckle when we tell him "well try and squeeze 10 bucks today...its almost empty. :) Had a nice gentleman jump out of his car and tell me "whoa, thats diesel". I said I know but thank you. A conversation ensued with him sitting in the car and he decided right there he was taking his wife to LA to look at a smart.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts