Smart Car of America Forum banner

41 - 60 of 951 Posts

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
You know, this whole discussion harkens me back to 2008. A lot of folks were complaining about the 451 not filling up all the way as well way back then.

The solution? Fill the tank on the slowest setting.:bangwall: Easy-peasy... I have always used the slowest setting to fill my smart, and never had an issue with it shutting off early. Are we all in such a hurry we can't slow down for the 5 minutes it takes to fill a tank???:shrug:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Well the only problem with this is that you have to guess what is left in your tank as to not over fill the tank and I understand that there is some kind of vapor capture charcoal filter that can become saturated if you overfill. I have no idea how that all works but maybe someone with more knowledge can elaborate on this and give us a good explanation as to why it's not good to over fill a tank.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
the tank for the 453 is the exact same size as the 451 at least in Canada (and likely all of North America). The only difference is that the reserve is now 5 liters instead of 3.5 litres.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 2016 will only let me put up to 6gal in the tank when im showing im on the last 1gal. The gauge shows full when i put that much in. Took it to dealer they supposedly fixed a bad sensor, (also said im the only reported person having this problem, seeing thats not true). Had a 2016 loaner and it did the same thing was on he last notch on the gauge pushed 4.9gal in, the gas nozzle just kept stopping off, didn't want to overflow it. Went down 1 notch at around 55miles but now goes down faster. I used to get almost 200 miles to the half matk on my 2008

·
Registered
456 Posts
If you fill slowly and stop when the pump clicks off overfilling is not an issue. :wink:
That works if you're pumping your own gas, but if you live in a state that has outlawed self-serve gasoline (like Oregon and NJ), then there is an added hassle as the attendants are all trained to stop the first time it clicks off (no "top up"). The fraud protection on the gas pumps prevent one from just having the attendant swipe your card again; you need to go down the road to the next station to complete your fill up. Giant PITA!

My 1996 Ford Contour had this problem for it's entire life. I was SO HAPPY when it died at 110K miles.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
If you fill slowly and stop when the pump clicks off overfilling is not an issue. :wink:
It's not an issue, you're right. But the only problem with that is that far too often we hang the nozzle back up, shut the cap, hop in the car, drive off and look up 1/4 mile later and notice the fuel gauge is only showing 75% or 80% full! :eek:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
No way to track your fuel economy accurately if your cutoff changes from tank to tank. :(
Granted, it may be difficult to say what your fuel economy is from tank to tank on a FULL tank... but you could always figure it out by writing down at what point you filled the tank, and then calculating the mileage difference between when you filled up and when you fill up again. Wouldn't be the full tank, but it'd still be the average for what fuel you put into the car.

Yes, calculating based on how much you put INTO the car compared to how far you've driven prior to filling up is easier and more convenient, but it's still do-able.

·
Registered
351 Posts
You must pump very slowly, I filled up my 453 yesterday when I started the low fuel indicator read 1.3gal, I put 10.38 gallons in the car so I would guess the total volume of the tank to be 11 or 12 gallons. My last fill-up I put 9.8 gallons.

·
Super Moderator
28,785 Posts
Not sure where all that gas is going....

The 70 hp EU smarts have a listed tank capacity of 28 liters. smart USA shows our 89 hp car's tank as 33 liters, and there is that mysterious optional 35 liter (9.24 US gallons) tank listed in an EU brochure. It's a mystery.... :shrug:

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Not sure where all that gas is going....

The 70 hp EU smarts have a listed tank capacity of 28 liters. smart USA shows our 89 hp car's tank as 33 liters, and there is that mysterious optional 35 liter (9.24 US gallons) tank listed in an EU brochure. It's a mystery.... :shrug:
Yes, and our own training course that we need to pass for smart sales certification has an answer of "8 gallons" when we're quizzed on the tank capacity.

Oy...

·
Registered
665 Posts
You must pump very slowly, I filled up my 453 yesterday when I started the low fuel indicator read 1.3gal, I put 10.38 gallons in the car so I would guess the total volume of the tank to be 11 or 12 gallons. My last fill-up I put 9.8 gallons.
I'm suspicious of those gas pumps. They sound like they are out of kilter. Giving you eight and charging you for 10 is not uncommon. Not saying it's intentional, but years ago I recall a TV special on gas stations and there was always a variance.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I'm suspicious of those gas pumps. They sound like they are out of kilter. Giving you eight and charging you for 10 is not uncommon. Not saying it's intentional, but years ago I recall a TV special on gas stations and there was always a variance.
No, I had driven over 380 miles on the previous fill-up which was 9.8 gallons. The pumps are accurate and I did put 10.38 gallons in the smart. I am careful about such things. I am sure that someone else with a 453 will back me up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Gas tank issue is a documented issue known by Mercedes

I was literally one of the first 2016 SmartCars in NYC when it launched. Pre-ordered my Prime and had the 1st one in the city. 4 days later I drove it about 250 miles to Washington DC and immediately noticed the issue. I had a 2011 Smart before the 2016 so I was fully aware of the capacity of the tanks...and that it definitely hit 8 gallons and a full tank of gas lasted me forever. The 2016 immediately dropped 1 bar in less than 10 miles and I was being forced to fill up very often. I went so far as to take photos of the gas meter and kept the receipts from the gas stations to show how much gas the car would take relative to the bar level on the dashboard. I even recorded the distance every time the meter dropped.

I was informed by the dealer that I was not the only one that had the issue and they were trying to fix it. I'm about to go in for my 3rd or 4th try. I hope they get this thing fixed because i love the car, but it's very annoying to constantly have to refill.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had problems with my old Chevy Trailblazer. If I didn't watch the pump, it would overflow the tank before shutting off. I had to hold the pump and fill at the slowest possible speed to avoid having problems. Have you tried a different gas station? Some pumps are faster or slower than others.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Are all those with fill problems using the vapor recovery nozzles? Our WV stations don't have that "feature".

Just looked at the brochure I picked up when I bought my 2016. It lists the tank capacity as 8 gallons. Go figure!

41 - 60 of 951 Posts