Smart Car of America Forum banner

601 - 620 of 951 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
I think I remember reading that. I have two scratched door panels and need an oil change so at least I'm not making a dedicated trip for this.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well, after my gas tank and sensor were replaced last week, I had the opportunity to fill up my take from 3.5L reserve. I'm sad to report that I was only able to fill 21L before the gas actually overflowed out of my tank. Once I let the gas settle down the neck, I was able to add a few more liters to a maximum of 24.468L before the gas wanted to overflow again so I stopped. Not sure why the gas pump didn't actually kick off. It may have been something with the gas station's own pump, I'm not sure of that. I could hear the tank filling and I was expecting it to kick out as I could hear the gas coming up the neck of the gas tank. I let my dealership know that I will be coming in again with an almost empty tank so I can bring one of the technicians out with me to fill the car. I will let him or her pump the gas and stand back and see what will happen. THIS ISSUE IS NOT RESOLVED FOR ME!!! for a 33L tank with 3.5 L left in reserve, the gas should not have overflowed after 21L. I'm back with the same problem...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well, after my gas tank and sensor were replaced last week, I had the opportunity to fill up my take from 3.5L reserve. I'm sad to report that I was only able to fill 21L before the gas actually overflowed out of my tank. Once I let the gas settle down the neck, I was able to add a few more liters to a maximum of 24.468L before the gas wanted to overflow again so I stopped. Not sure why the gas pump didn't actually kick off. It may have been something with the gas station's own pump, I'm not sure of that. I could hear the tank filling and I was expecting it to kick out as I could hear the gas coming up the neck of the gas tank. I let my dealership know that I will be coming in again with an almost empty tank so I can bring one of the technicians out with me to fill the car. I will let him or her pump the gas and stand back and see what will happen. THIS ISSUE IS NOT RESOLVED FOR ME!!! for a 33L tank with 3.5 L left in reserve, the gas should not have overflowed after 21L. I'm back with the same problem...

Was the gauge reading accurate, at least, with regard to how much fuel was in the tank before and after you filled it up?

·
Registered
79 Posts
The dealer said they put in 10L at the dealership for testing then drove it to the gas station across the street and then put in just under 20L. Assuming it left the dealership with 30L in the tank, I would have to say that that was indeed correct for the kilometers I was able to drive before going into the 5L reserve. I drove 140km since yesterdays fill-up and I'm now down 2 bars. Hard to say how accurate that gauge is. As long as it can read full when the tank is full and low when the tank is low, and that I can fill up the tank with close to a full tank (not just 20L), then I'll be happy. I know for a fact that I can trickle fill that tank and get 30L or more when it's empty but when I say trickle fill, I really mean trickle fill. If the gas pump is too sensitive, it won't allow me to trickle fill but some pumps will allow it. My wild guess is that it feels like the gas is backing up in the neck when filling but that's just my wild guess. As far as I'm concerned, it's up to smart to figure out what is going on. Anyone going for a gas tank replacement may be wasting their precious time but who knows. I guess they have to go with all these replacements to narrow down the options? I'm very anxious to return to the dealership to have a technician fill the tank in front of me just to confirm that this is indeed an unsolved problem. Stay tuned.....

·
Registered
119 Posts
Arggh, very unfortunate. So I take it those of us who got replacement fuel level sensors, that was essentially "the fix" for tank issues.. And no new tank to actually fix THE problem. Hmm, ok. I will say on the upbeat that it is nice to know how much fuel is in the tank, it was a bit unnerving not knowing for sure. :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got my car back last and when I finally had to fill up (my gauge read .9 gal) I was able to put 7.9 gals in. That leaves still a gallon short, it is better then it was but I do not think they have completely solved the problem.

this is what the report from the dealer said:

corrupt software installed during previous repair. causing low level fuel indicator to come on too early. fuel level sensor arm misaligned.
verify that fuel; gauge had 1 bar & reserve light flashing; connect/disconnect ads: connect battery charger: monitor actual values in engine control unit while draining tank: drain fuel tank to empty while monitoring resistance of level sensor from pins 3 & 4 at connector x18/3. resistance was at 318ohms when take read zero (1.7)non time diagnosis: fill fuel tank with 1.3 gallons of fuel to check if reserve light was working properly & it did not illuminate. fill fuel tank until pump shut off & vehicle received 7.1 gallons bringing fuel level up to 8.4 gallons. fuel tank filling to maximum capacity correctly (.50) non time diagnostic: update son coding. instructed by xsf: R&R fuel tank(47-4100): remove fuel sending unit (47-7004): inspect fuel sending unit for travel range. adjust lever to move farther down (.50) non time. re-installo back together; scn code cluster to original coding from factory with assistance from engineering. fill vehicle tank to full capacity and monitor when draining fuel tank down until reserve light came on at 1.5 gallons of fuel (1.5) diagnosis time. vehicle fuel system operating properly.

despite the owners manual saying that the fuel tank is 8.7 with a 1.3 reserve it seems like mercedes has set the the amount that the tank holds at 8.4.

that is the same amount I was putting in before.

what the hell happened to the smart car holding 10 gallons of gas.

my car was at the dealer for a total of 3 weeks and my 453 holds less gas than my old 451.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I was never under the impression that the US model held 10 gallons. I always understood it to be 8.7 including the 1.3 reserve (which isn't a reserve as much as to point at which the warning light comes on) ?

·
17,384 Posts
Depends. It used to be believed that the 451's petrol tank was 8.7 gal total including reserve...but then Littodevil did the honors and removed his petrol tank. He performed a quick scientific test and his petrol tank came out to be 10.08 gallons. To date, his findings are the most comprehensive on the 451.

I was going to suggest that someone remove their 453 petrol tank and measure it...but I forgot, warranties and stuff.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I haven't read all the reply's and comments on this fueling issue, so forgive me if I'm repeating what has been said.
If a new fuel tank is supplied, the entire vehicle will have to be re crash tested, even with a small change in the tank, so they can have the tank but can't supply due to the lack of certification. That's what this retired car manufactures employee recalls.
I assume that same issue may be holding up 2017 453 coupes (mine included).
Rich

·
17,384 Posts
I haven't read all the reply's and comments on this fueling issue, so forgive me if I'm repeating what has been said.
If a new fuel tank is supplied, the entire vehicle will have to be re crash tested, even with a small change in the tank, so they can have the tank but can't supply due to the lack of certification. That's what this retired car manufactures employee recalls.
I assume that same issue may be holding up 2017 453 coupes (mine included).
Rich
It is from my understanding that the replacement tank needs to meet the standards established by the original tank, so just the tank itself needs testing.

eCFR ? Code of Federal Regulations

·
Registered
237 Posts
I got my car back last and when I finally had to fill up (my gauge read .9 gal) I was able to put 7.9 gals in.
Thank you for posting the specifics of your 453's fix back in post 608. Question about the 7.9 gallons that you filled, on top of your 0.9 reserve gas:

Were those 7.9 gallons obtained by normal fill with automatic pump shutoff? Or did you utilize a "slow fill method" (what most 453 owners would like to avoid doing) to get those 7.9 gal?

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
The tank itself is unchanged, I believe. The tank is part of an assembly that includes a sensor, which seems to be the crux of the problem. There has been nothing modified which would imply retesting crashworthiness.

It's futile to measure "raw" tank capacity and then to interpret that as meaningful, since the sensor is the limiting determinant of driving range, even when operating properly.

·
17,384 Posts
Thought so. I've been following the thread and it seems the heart of the issue is that sensor.

I suggested measuring the "raw" size mostly because I know how much we all bickered about it with the 451. :D

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well, I went to the dealership and had the opportunity to let a technician fill the NEW AND IMPROVED tank in front of me. I had 4L in my reserve and he was able to add 21L before the pumped kicked out for the first time. He let it settle for a few seconds, tried again and was able to add about 4 extra Liters. We ended up filling 25.16L this morning. If you do the quick math, 4L reserve + 21L 1st shut-off + 4L extra pumping gives you a total of 29 L in a 33L tank which isn't too bad. If you don't count the extra pumping of the 4L after the first shut off, then the total is 25L in a 33L tank which I find a bit low in my opinion. The 'official' way to fill the tank, as to not damage the carbon filter or risk spills, is to not continue after the pump kicks out the first time, but I'm guessing that for this car, if you want a bit more gas in your tank, you will not have any other choice but to let the gas settle down and do a secondary pumping for those extra few liters. This aspect of the 453 is not as good as my old 2008 smart but I think I can live with it. I'm just going to let smart crunch this information and they can conclude whatever they want from it. If they think that there still is a problem, I'm sure they will look into it and let me know. I'm just happy that the gas didn't spill out of the tank without warning like it did on Monday when I first tried to fill it up with the new tank. I'll certainly have many more opportunities to fill up this tank in its lifetime. If the spillover occurs again without warning, there may be another issue but it may also be the actual Gas Station's pump that caused this on Monday. My guess is that there will be some gas station pumps that will be friendlier to my sensitive tank thank others. I've also come to the conclusion that the numbers in the reserve are likely very approximate. This gas tank issue aside, this car is so much better on so many levels than my old 2008 smart.

·
Registered
451 Posts
So the dealership had my car - and swore they had everything they needed - and told me that the bolts they needed to secure the mounting brackets were not included in their kit and they didn't have any in stock. So my car has been there since Monday.

They gave me a 2015 Brabus loaner car. I sold them when they were new but driving around in the real world in this car I can attest it is a total and complete turd. My wife kept telling me how much better our smart car is than this one.

I had to keep it floored on the highway just to keep up with traffic. The gas mileage sucked and it kept going between 5th and 4th constantly.

Can't wait to get my smart back. I hope the gas tank "fix" does just that.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Here's a question to ponder:

With fixes upon fixes upon fixes... to software and tanks and sensors... it seems nearly impossible to discern *which* fix (or stage of fix) has been undertaken on any given 453.

The further we wade into the river, the murkier the water becomes.

I'd have no idea how to compare my car's state of repair with that of MarcLad's car, for example. Imagine trying to track down the tank fix status of a used 453, without the benefit of a universal and systematic approach to this chaos.

And like MarcLad's post demonstrates, each of us will pursue a different level of fix according to our driving needs and desire to have things made right, until either (1) we become satisfied with a suboptimal resolution, (2) we give up, or (3) a genuine solution is found. My concern is for those who fall into (1) or (2). We may never know if/when "THE" bonafide fix is found, and no repaired or semi-repaired 453 will wear any distinguishing badge that proclaims it to have an 8.7g "as promised" capacity. There will be no uniformity whatsoever, causing the value and salability of every 2016 453 to suffer.

The mess will begin to seem worse once the effects of the haphazard implementation of multiple fixes becomes clear.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had my fuel tank replaced 10/11/2016. Filled up today with reserve showing 1.2 gallons. After about five minutes of getting all I could get in the tank I put 6.4 gallons in. Looks like I am missing 1.1 gallons somewhere as service manger said new tank held 8.7 gallons.

601 - 620 of 951 Posts