Smart Car of America Forum banner

641 - 660 of 951 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Took my 453 in to the dealership this morning and showed the shop foreman the gas gauge indicating half full with a full tank of gas. He has now opened a case with smart to try and escalate the issue further. We both suspect at this point that this is a software bug in the instrument panel. The fuel sender is clearly working but the panel shows otherwise. I also made yet another passionate plea to request in the case for a replacement "proper" fuel tank. I take the car in next Monday and will leave it with the dealership for however long to try and sort this out. I also plan to run the fuel level down to less than half full, drop a $10 bill in the shop foreman's shirt pocket and will request that he run the car up to the gas station on the corner. Fill it up with all $10 worth. Watch and see that the pump handle stops at $3 and then he'll have to beg the remaining $7 to go in.

Interesting that the gas gauge began working normally as I headed back home. Obviously it is reporting intermittently.

I may well be wasting my time again but what the heck. Got nothing to lose at this point.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
I got a call this morning from the service center saying that everything was fine.

I asked if they drained the tank and refilled it.

"No."

We then went into further discussion, after which the service advisor said that they better keep it, and keep working on it.

Great idea.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Already got a callback. Nothing more they can do for my car, per the nice advisor's comments:

"I talked to my technicians who are familiar with this issue from similar investigations. 6 gallons plus reserve is as good as you're going to get. There are no other updates yet. Mercedes isn't even going to warranty draining and refilling your tank since you've already had the tank unit replaced."

·
17,384 Posts
Hmmmm....my average fill is about 6 gallons. Even accounting for reserve, that comes up short.

I'll test it again now that I'm not racing home from the west coast. I'll use a pump that worked flawlessly on the 451.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Hmmmm....my average fill is about 6 gallons. Even accounting for reserve, that comes up short.

Not surprising. Six gallons is what the "new and marginally improved" tank/sensor allows. That's what has sent the engineers back (again) to the drawing board. Maybe your circumstances will have this be "no big deal" until a genuine 8.7 gallon fix is found, but until then: Welcome to the club.

·
17,384 Posts
I already have adjusted to having a smaller tank size. The frequent stopping helped me stay alert on my trip back!

For me, the bigger thing was a working fuel gauge, which is something mine definitely has. It even accurately tracks mpg. So I'll not bring it up with my servicing dealer until there's a set in stone fix.

·
17,384 Posts
Oh snap. In that case, I'll alert the two area dealers that I do service with. I almost guarantee one of them has already seen it.

I swear I've seen it quoted that our cars have a 7.7...but yep, per page 207 in my owner's manual, it's 8.7.

Unrelated note: Carry a digital version of the manual in your phone...so easy to just pull up anything you want. :)

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Oh snap. In that case, I'll alert the two area dealers that I do service with. I almost guarantee one of them has already seen it.

I swear I've seen it quoted that our cars have a 7.7...but yep, per page 207 in my owner's manual, it's 8.7.

Unrelated note: Carry a digital version of the manual in your phone...so easy to just pull up anything you want. :)
Your build date is the same as mine. As I've stated before, I don't have the 2 bar low issue but I do believe the gauge isn't reading properly - about a gallon low. From your trip results I'd bet you have the same. Like others, i have to fill very carefully to get the most gas in the tank. Don't know what the solution is for us.
I haven't been to my dealer yet but will report the issue but will not allow them to replace anything until there is a firm fix on hand.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Your build date is the same as mine. As I've stated before, I don't have the 2 bar low issue but I do believe the gauge isn't reading properly - about a gallon low. From your trip results I'd bet you have the same. Like others, i have to fill very carefully to get the most gas in the tank. Don't know what the solution is for us. I haven't been to my dealer yet but will report the issue but will not allow them to replace anything until there is a firm fix on hand.
If your both of your respective dealers don't know about the problem and/or ask you to bring in the car for diagnosis:

Make a service appointment for date when you will have the gas tank in the reserve (around 1.0 gallons remaining). Then a service technician could accompany you to a gas station for fill-up at a pump. Stop filling on the first pump automatic shutoff (usually around 5-6 gallons). Don't fight the shutoff by slow-filling past the auto-shutoff, as this is not recommended by the manufacturer. This is an easy way to show the technician that your tank is not accepting anywhere near the stated 8.7 gallon capacity.

·
17,384 Posts
Huh, well that's kinda neat! I'm not even mad. Based on what you guys are saying, I'm not actually able to fully fill the tank, but the fuel gauge still seems to work okay.

Seems to be calibrated like my 451, where that first bar apparently lasts hilariously long. So, while I'm coming under 8.7 gals in the 453, it's still enough to trigger all 8 bars.

I might just hook up my UltraGauge and see what the fuel sender thinks is in the tank. :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Based on what you guys are saying, I'm not actually able to fully fill the tank, but the fuel gauge still seems to work okay.
Some think the 453 tank does indeed hold 8.7 gallons of gas upon filling-up but the gauge incorrectly shows 0.0 gallons when there really are 1-2 usable gallons left in the tank.

A couple of 453 drivers have completely run out of gas and reported their cars drove far beyond 0.0 gallons on the gauge. iirc: one driver posted it was about an additional 70 miles past the 0.0 gallon mark. ymmv

Purposely haven't tested my 453's full maximum range: a driver posted the 453 engine dies immediately (no sputtering) when it runs out of gas. May have no ability to pull off to the side of the road; could block traffic or get struck by another vehicle. I'd experiment if I could find a closed-course to use.

·
17,384 Posts
I'm not going to worry about it. :)I love Phil and am content with the 6-7 gallons I can put in now. :)

I'll still alert the dealer though!

641 - 660 of 951 Posts