Smart Car of America Forum banner

941 - 951 of 951 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have consistently put 10+ gal in my 2016 edition one. I normally get around 390+miles to the city and around 450 plus in the highway. It turns the pump off around 7 and I slow pump to 10-11 gallons

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was told (updated) today by my Dealership repair shop, that my OEM tank will be replaced. I used these words to describe the problem;
"Every gas station pump shuts off around 5.5 to 6 gallon while filling up. A hissing sound then is heard comming from the gas tank filler-hole. NAPA told me, a gas fume hose is probably Kinked, that leads to the carbon-cannister. Air is being trapped when filling the gas tank, and can't escape fast enough when fueling the (2016 Smart) car. I have to wait forever to fill the bank completely to around 10 gallons max. I want maximum miles-range. Otherwise i would have bought an electric car. I am only getting 159 miles every gas-fill-up!"

After filling up (10+ gallons FORCED), the Check-Engine light turned on. Possibly . . . . well . . . . I don't know what code they MB dealership, found.

·
Registered
141 Posts
After filling up (10+ gallons FORCED), the Check-Engine light turned on. Possibly . . . . well . . . . I don't know what code they MB dealership, found.
Do try to get the code thrown from the dealer (please).
It may be unrelated to 'force' :) filling.

I get 10 gallons in every time when the low fuel light is flashing at 0.5 gal.
I do use 5/8" diameter spouts on my gas cans which facilitates the air displacement (hissing).

I have noticed recently (3+ years from the In Service Date) that the low fuel light flashing starts coming on and '0.9gal' displays on the lower right.
It used to be always '1.3gal' when the low fuel light flashing started.
I haven't gotten a CEL though from the 10gal fills (of E0 91).

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I was told (updated) today by my Dealership repair shop, that my OEM tank will be replaced. I used these words to describe the problem;
"Every gas station pump shuts off around 5.5 to 6 gallon while filling up. A hissing sound then is heard comming from the gas tank filler-hole. NAPA told me, a gas fume hose is probably Kinked, that leads to the carbon-cannister. Air is being trapped when filling the gas tank, and can't escape fast enough when fueling the (2016 Smart) car. I have to wait forever to fill the bank completely to around 10 gallons max. I want maximum miles-range. Otherwise i would have bought an electric car. I am only getting 159 miles every gas-fill-up!"

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I had the gas tank on my 2016 replaced shortly after I bought the car, dealership said it was a recall item. Actually was the level sensor not reading correctly but the whole tank had to be replaced. I fill my tank at 2 bars and typically put in 5.5-6 gallons.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Do try to get the code thrown from the dealer (please).
It may be unrelated to 'force' :) filling.
Sorry, this answer took so long. I just got my 2016 Smart Back after gas tank replacement [Read why above]. The MB Dealership reported:[without capitalization]: "Fault with the instrument cluster coding and fuel tank. Found LI47.10-P-063064 for the concern." Does anyone recognize this code? My understanding is the "P" stands for "Power Train" in OBDII codes.

Now, on the Instrument-Cluster, I have been getting erratic failures of the Cruise Control, and Bright Beam (Blue dash-light-indicator) would not turn ON, and wipers stll operate after leaving the vehicle, with the key in hand.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sorry, this answer took so long. I just got my 2016 Smart Back after gas tank replacement [Read why above]. The MB Dealership reported:[without capitalization]: "Fault with the instrument cluster coding and fuel tank. Found LI47.10-P-063064 for the concern." Does anyone recognize this code? My understanding is the "P" stands for "Power Train" in OBDII codes.
My MISTAKE. Reading further on MB Dealership report, "Found Stored Code P26AB00 (Shutoff Vanve of the Coolant Circuit Stuck Open) in the Me [memory?].". "Found Component Y16/2 PIN#2 to be corroded . . . To be touching the wire." "No damage to the weather seal . . . "

Hope this helps. BTW, this is the same code (minus the last two "00") I got from Advance Auto and Auto Zone's FREE Code Scan.

Hope to update, on refuling Speed and Refueling capacity.

·
Registered
141 Posts
"Found Stored Code P26AB00 (Shutoff Vanve of the Coolant Circuit Stuck Open) in the Me"
I don't think thist is related to force filling the car with gas.

"Fault with the instrument cluster coding and fuel tank. Found LI47.10-P-063064 for the concern."
Now that LI47 is a service bulletin I believe.
If it got you a new fuel tank, that's a great number to use when you visit the dealer (under warranty):)
Yes, definately a fault when you have a full tank at 139 miles travelled.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm not going to worry about it. :)I love Phil and am content with the 6-7 gallons I can put in now. :)
I hope you have gotten tired of frequent returns to Gas Stations for gas. You deserve the full Tank Mileagerange. I got 10 gallons in, from 0.1 reading on the gauge. Just got tank replaced yesterday, so I will see results, and hopefully update y'all !

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't think this is related to force filling the car with gas.
If it got you a new fuel tank, that's a great number to use when you visit the dealer (under warranty):)
Yes, definitely a fault when you have a full tank at 139 miles traveled.
You are RIGHT, not related (doesn't it seem). And yes, a good number to throw at the dealership to help-them-help-you.
But still, a Full tank at 139 mi traveled. . . Why is that a problem? I Got That TOO (before tank replacement)! To me, a fuel gauge needs to definitely be accurate from let's say, 5 gallons (200 mi or so) and DOWN, - - -, to 0.0. I don't mind it telling me . . ." Yea . . . you're still full. . .", after 200 miles I've traveled.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just got tank replaced yesterday, so I will see results, and hopefully update y'all !
Well. Refueling still stops at 5.2 gallons at a fast refueling gas pump speed. 10 forced refueling attempts brought the total up to 6.9 gals. Could not hear any hissing sound this time. Does the carbon canister need replacing? Because they reinstalled the exact one from the previous tank.

941 - 951 of 951 Posts