Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
Now 09 451 Passion Cabriolet Met Blue & Silver First 08 451 Passion Cabriolet Yellow & Black
2,333 Posts
Well, the service station looked the job up in their book and said it was a 3.5 hour job. And that's with professional equipment, lifts and so on. So I think you're likely being a bit humorous, heh?

In their defense, they did say they were giving me a 'worst case' estimate and that it would be less if the repair required less expense, i.e. not replacing the fuel pump. But the exact problem wouldn't be known until the tank was pulled.

I'm slightly relieved that you don't feel I'm driving a time-bomb or a molotov cocktail on wheels. But, I'm still eager to get the repair done. It makes me uneasy. Sure glad I'm no longer a cigarette smoker!
Are you kidding me?
Your driving a rear engine car (unlike an old VW Bug) the GAS TANK is also in the REAR WITH THE ENGINE instead of the front.
PLUS it has been determined that models years *2008-2009 sometimes catch fire. with the engine just underneath an access within the cabin of the car, WHAT COULD GO WRONG?

You have choices. All are going to cost money or could cost a life.
Pay the price and have it fixed professionally by a place that will give you a written warranty.
If you are handy fix it yourself.
Drive it As Is and hope for the best. You have to remember, if you are hit from behind, what may happen from an already compromised fuel tank (think Ford Pinto).
Sell it As Is and maybe the next owner will have it fixed or risk their life driving it. :shrug:
Repairing it will not add to the value of the car, but not repairing will subtract from the selling price.
Depending upon the age of your smart you probably will not get your money back from the repair.
I had to do the same thing 5 years ago with my mint 1996 Chrysler with 75,000 orig miles when the trans. went out.
In perfect condition the car was worth $2500 but it was worth more to me than that. So, I ponied up the $2200 for the full rebuild of the transmission. The car is still in the family my 82 year brother-in-law the original buyer is back its new owner and it still has only 98,000 miles on it.

Best case. If you still like your smart and enjoy driving it. Get it fixed properly. Chalk it up to ownership costs.
Good Luck with your decision.

*I checked your profile and did not see the model year of your car.

· Registered
Now 09 451 Passion Cabriolet Met Blue & Silver First 08 451 Passion Cabriolet Yellow & Black
2,333 Posts
I don't know how you could've gotten any impression other than that I am EAGER to get it fixed. So, what decision is it you're talking about?

Every member who has taken the time to construct one has a "garage", which is linked to at the bottom of the left column. There is also a link to it on the profile page.
I got that impression from the first line of your first post.
A little while back, I started noticing the odor of gasoline both inside and outside my car. I foolishly filled the tank before taking it to a garage to have it checked. When I did, I noted that I had only had a range of 240 miles on the full tank, where my usual is around 300 miles.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.