Smart Car of America Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

· Registered
333 Posts
$257 to the door for a smart OEM pump. I'd bet a beer (or two) that's a couple hundred less than I'd get from the garage. I believe they were sourcing from Advance Auto Parts, but don't quote me on that.

That leaves about $500 from the repair estimate for labor. Around here, garage rates run about $100/hr. Replacing the fuel pump is not a 5-hour job.

~toaster

· He's not mine
9,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Y'all have convinced me that I should contact someone from smart or MB on this matter. Any specific recommendations, like the dealer I took delivery from, or somewhere up the line? Got a phone number?

Can't hurt.

· He's not mine
9,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
That leaves about $500 from the repair estimate for labor. Around here, garage rates run about $100/hr. Replacing the fuel pump is not a 5-hour job.

~toaster
Last I took note they were charging more like $150/hour here, although I didn't ask specifically yet at this garage this time. They said 3.5 hours. At $150/hour that's $525. The guy looked the repair time up, he didn't pull it out of the air. But I don't know what he used for a reference.

It would be nice if they'd apply the $50 diagnostic fee I've already paid. But I asked about that and the answer was negatory.

· Registered
885 Posts
The repair time quoted is not just for actual labor, it also includes tool and equipment (cost to purchase - even if already purchased and paid for) charges.

Also if you purchase you own part, the mechanic most likely will do the install and verify it works, with no ongoing warranty if it fails shortly after.

· 10Year+ Supporting Member
2009 Brabus Coupe
4,183 Posts
This is sort of on your topic. In 2004 Chevrolet issued a recall on Corvette fuel tanks. It only covered some specific vin numbers, about a month of production. Of course my Z06 was in the group. The recall stated there could be a leak in the cross over tube between the two tanks. The recall was good for 10 years from date of receipt. The repair done out of recall was approximately $2300.00. There are still some 2004's floating around with out the recall ever being done. It may be wise to keep checking with the powers that be to see if your issue could fall into that 10 year window.

· He's not mine
9,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
... if you purchase you own part, the mechanic most likely will do the install and verify it works, with no ongoing warranty if it fails shortly after.
I've talked with them with my questions. And, the above statement was confirmed. I decided to pay the extra $70+ dollars for the peace of mind the warranty on their work offers.
Unfortunately, the part isn't expected until Friday afternoon, and the work is scheduled for Moanday morning. Clearly, I wish it would be sooner, oh well.

· Registered
885 Posts
I've talked with them with my questions. And, the above statement was confirmed. I decided to pay the extra $70+ dollars for the peace of mind the warranty on their work offers.
Unfortunately, the part isn't expected until Friday afternoon, and the work is scheduled for Moanday morning. Clearly, I wish it would be sooner, oh well.
Good you are having it resolved. Was it determined to be the pump unit or gasket?

· He's not mine
9,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Y'all have convinced me that I should contact someone from smart or MB on this matter. Any specific recommendations, like the dealer I took delivery from, or somewhere up the line? Got a phone number?

Can't hurt.
I hope someone will pitch in on my questions. Or, is this a hopeless line of thought? I mean, this matter is going to cost me roughtly $800. It would be so nice if MB would accept some responsibility and help me out financially. My income presently is $1064/month.

· Registered
4,682 Posts
Write a letter to customer service at your dealer with a copy to M-B head office, a nice one about how you are a fan etc but you sure would appreciate some help on it.

Reactions: NCC1701

· Registered
49 Posts
Yeah. I had the same problem with gas leaking. After crawling under the car with an inspection mirror and seeing gasoline on top of the tank, I attempted to drop my tank myself. Once I started to lower the tank, I realized that I didn’t have the car high enough to have room for myself and the tank, so I buttoned it up and called a garage. Started the car to drive it to the shop, but now it was leaking too profusely to drive, so I had it towed. Turned out that the leak was a crack in the nylon(?) output fitting at the top of the fuel tank and when I’d started to drop the tank I’d flexed the fitting and made the leak much worse. This fitting is integral to the top of the fuel pump so you can’t just replace the fitting, the entire fuel pump needs to be replaced. (Thanx, Mercedes) The repair came in at just under $800 like your estimate.
After driving around for a few days, I stopped to get gas and just as I noticed the pump hit 9 gallons, I saw gasoline running across the drive from under my car. There is a seal under the lid of the fuel pump; the mechanic hadn’t seated it properly. Of course they did charge me for the re-repair!
If you have the means to get you car up high enough, the job wouldn’t be too hard for the average diy’er but I’d advise having a helper at least to lower the tank. I was working by myself when I tried, and I could only get my car about 13” off the ground! [My smart had about 130K on the odometer at the time]

· He's not mine
9,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
What was the out come of the 'determination' ?
The car has been repaired. Here's the followup:

After days of delays getting the part (tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow),
the job was done Wednesday afternoon. When I picked it up the mechanic showed me the original fuel pump. As he was showing me the problem with the plastic fitting, as described by greybeard above, it easily snapped clean off of the pump in his hand.

So, yeah, it was the pump. Cost me $776 plus the $50 diagnostic fee which they didn't apply. Labor alone was over $300. As I was paying up I mentioned that in light of the multi-day delay I'd hoped they would've given me a break on the labor cost. But, he said it wasn't their fault. And I guess he's right.

So I've been driving it for four days and it seems to be running fine. 100K on the clock. I wish I could get my roof fixed now, LOL, or at least have it permanently sealed so I could quit with the twice-a-year Gorilla Tape routine.

· Registered
49 Posts
Yup. Just barely touched the fitting when the mechanic showed it to me and it snapped right off. Seems to me they coulda/shoulda used regular fittings that could be replaced. Still a relatively big job, but a whole lot cheaper. But then they wouldn’t be able to sell as many fuel pumps!
Also, I found a miss print in in my previous comment. They did ‘not’ charge me to realign the seal.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.