Votes: 11 25.0%

Votes: 23 52.3%
  • ethanol free

Votes: 3 6.8%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
17,363 Posts
Whatever counts as "Premium" where I am. In some places that's 91, in some places it's 93...in remote or extremely rural places it'll be 87. When I was in rural TN they only had Ethanol free 87 and the store didn't have octane booster. You won't kill the engine running a tank or a few of 87 through it, but I would really really recommend against ONLY using 87.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
My three little Smarts only get E0 91 (ethanol free).

I travel 15 miles to a station that has it with 1.0 gallons remaining, fill 10 gallons in the 453 and 10 gallons in the two 5gal cans in the back.

Click on your state to find an E0 station.

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=CO

Don't use octane boost; damages cats.
I always use 91/93... depending on what's available wherever i manage to stop for gas.

Going by that site, though.... i'm kind of wondering what it'd be like putting 110 octane in my 453, since a local-ish gas station actually sells it. lol

·
Registered
373 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
...the cabrio gets 89 since 2012...the '08 did too
...silver bullet gets 93 and a tank of 100LL every now and then just for fun...

Jetfuel....just for fun...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Needless expense.....

WHY? Someone, somewhere has pulled the wool over your eyes. Our '08 has 90k and never had premium. Has never required any servicing either. Need to accept that some people are far too gullible for their own good and wallets.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
You should put whatever the octane rating the owner's manual specifies and no higher. Only go to a higher octane as an interim measure if the car has audible pinging while you diagnose hte problem and and fix it.

Some older engines with carbonized combustion chambers may need a grade higher octane.

Anything else is just wasting money and spewing more nasty antiknock chemicals out the tailpipe.

And 10 percent ethanol works perfectly fine with all modern cars - it raises the octane, reduces the amount of nasty octane chemicals, is a renewable fuel, and helps farmers.

100 LL is aviation-only gasoline and contains lead. Don't use it. It does nothing, spews lead and will destroy the catalytic converter.

Of course, Jet fuel is essentially kerosene and the car would not run on that at all.

·
Registered
373 Posts
For the amount of fuel that these cars use (and the associated costs...): the difference between the grades of fuel is virtually negligible.
If I couldn't afford it: I wouldn't have bought the car!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ii haven't owned my smart for long but since i bought it from the previous owner, I've used 93. its about $20 in my area to fill it when the last bar is lit. About the same as my Honda Civic that uses 89 so I'm ok with it. The previous owner said they also used 93 and kept telling me it cant use anything lower (probably not true) so I'm going to believe the car always used 93

·
17,363 Posts
And 10 percent ethanol works perfectly fine with all modern cars - it raises the octane, reduces the amount of nasty octane chemicals, is a renewable fuel, and helps farmers.
Correct!

All modern cars are built to run and last on ethanol. Running ethanol in your smart will not hurt it whatsoever.

"Pure" gas is a 30 minute drive away for me, negating the few mpg more I'd theoretically get on a tank.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Correct!

All modern cars are built to run and last on ethanol. Running ethanol in your smart will not hurt it whatsoever.
And this has been true for quite some time. Early on with ethanol the main concern was valve recision but most valve seats were already made of materials to resist that and with more research it was found that valve recision was really only a factor for stationery engines running at a steady RPM.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Correct!

"Pure" gas is a 30 minute drive away for me, negating the few mpg more I'd theoretically get on a tank.
And this has been true for quite some time. Early on with ethanol the main concern was valve revision but most valve seats were already made of materials to resist that and with more research it was found that valve rescission was really only a factor for stationery engines running at a steady RPM.
:nerd: Thank you, and Thank you again! :D
It's nice to hear some truth added to this hot little topic!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts