Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure there is a thread for this but I couldn't find a recent one.
My smart center wants a little over $200 for the pods (best price I found so far)
Then they say it pays 3 hours labor to install them.
It seems like it takes about 30 minutes.
Anyone install gauge pods in a 2012 and if so advice would be awesome as I would like to save $330 on installation alone.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like they are making up the discount price on the part by charging a huge labor fee!
I talked to the parts guys more while I was there today.
they have nothing to do with the install and it's like $202 for the pods with the trim rings. I was telling them how easy it is to install them and they said I should just do it myself. So Tuesday I shall pick up the pods and a nice brabus ebrake handle with boot.
the parts guy has had it so long he said he'd give it to me for $180. They said list was $305

·
Super Moderator
17,739 Posts
I've installed pods in my 2012, it's a very easy process and will only take 15 minutes the easy way.

1. On the top center of the dash toward the windshield, you will find a plastic piece that looks like a mesh grate. Pull it out. It's in there good so you might have to use a tool. Be careful not to harm the surrounding dashboard. If it breaks, that's okay, you won't need it again.

2. Firmly grasp both sides of your speedometer and slowly pull toward you. It should come out of its housing.

3. Either disconnect the speedometer and put it on the passenger seat, or set it aside still connected. I found it easier to disconnect it. There's a connector on the back. Slide the lever on the connector over and the connector will easily come out.

4. Locate the connector for the pods. It should be taped to the housing for the speedometer. If not, it will be the only loose cable behind the dash.

5. Place the pods on top of the hole where the mesh grate used to be. Feed the connector cable attached to the pods through the hole. In case the cable gets stuck, the exit for the hole is to the bottom left.

6. Reach your hand through the speedometer's housing and grab the cable for the pods.

7. Connect the pods to the connector taped to the speedometer housing. Feel free to rip the tape off if it'll help. It was only there to aid installation.

8. Once connected, reconnect the speedometer and put it back into its housing.

9. Start the car. If the pods work, shut the car down.

10. Snap the pods into place on the dash, take the provided screw and screw it into the hole in the center of the base of the pods. You'll need a small Torx bit for it.

11. Place the provided cover over the screw.

12. Place your trim rings on the pods.

13. Adjust position and time.

14. Enjoy!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Remember, If you disconnect the speedometer and your smart is not absolutely full of gas, your fuel gauge will not read full even after you fill it up. If this happens, fill it up and disconnect the speedo for a few seconds to reset the gauge.

3. Either disconnect the speedometer and put it on the passenger seat, or set it aside still connected. I found it easier to disconnect it. There's a connector on the back. Slide the lever on the connector over and the connector will easily come out.

·
Registered
2008 smart passion original owner
54 Posts
My car was loaded so I didn't have a choice but I wouldn't do those pods.
The primary reason is now I have three (!!!) clocks in this car. The one on the dash, the in the entertainment unit and the pod. And the dash one and the pod one are a pain to reset; I mean a real pain! Screw daily saving time anymore!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My car was loaded so I didn't have a choice but I wouldn't do those pods.
The primary reason is now I have three (!!!) clocks in this car. The one on the dash, the in the entertainment unit and the pod. And the dash one and the pod one are a pain to reset; I mean a real pain! Screw daily saving time anymore!
I mainly want the pods for the tach.
I don't have the high line radio so I only have one clock so far in the cluster.
Analog trumps digital any day though.

·
Super Moderator
17,739 Posts
Remember, If you disconnect the speedometer and your smart is not absolutely full of gas, your fuel gauge will not read full even after you fill it up. If this happens, fill it up and disconnect the speedo for a few seconds to reset the gauge.

Right before I installed mine, my car had two bars of fuel remaining. After I reconnected the speedo after I installed them, it had three bars! :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts