Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 Smart ED - I tried plugging into the EVSE at my college - it's a GE Wattstation. Once I downloaded an app and set up the account, I finally got it started. I had to push the cable really hard into place and it never *clicked*, but it started working.

I was at ~70%, and about 3 hours later it was fully charged.

Here's where it got interesting: My Smart app told me the car was at 100% when I had put about 5.8 kWH into the battery.
The GE Wattstation continued to rack up kW. It seemed slower, but when I saw it was at 6.4 kWH I started to get worried (again, the app had said it was full some 30 minutes earlier) so I stepped out of class and jogged to the parking lot to unplug it out of fear of damaging something from overcharging.

I thought the onboard charger would shut off once it hit 100% - does anyone have an explanation for this? I guess next time I can let it go even longer to see if it stops. Maybe since they charge by the kWH (not by the hour) on these chargers, it actually was just charging me for wasting their time. But I didn't see any notice about this.

PS - I love the "pay by the kWH" feature on public EVSEs, when driving a Smart :)

·
Registered
832 Posts
The smart will show "100%" on the vh and on the dash guessgauge well before the battery is actually full. It's normal to continue charging another kWh or two after that.

And yes, it will not allow overcharging. This is all controlled in the car, the EVSE has nothing to do with that, even if it were malfunctioning. Worst case: the EVSE doesn't supply power to the car, but it can't force the car to accept more power than it needs.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts