Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check engine light was on for awhile and when I had it checked it showed miss fire codes. I changed the plugs and coils this morning and hoping the light goes out now. HOWEVER, while the coils and plugs were on order the gear indicator started blinking and the double wrench symbol started blinking too. Car drives fine but this is irritating and concerning. I should mention that while I was putting in new coils and plugs I had the battery disconnected for over an hour and was hoping this would clear up the issues with the check engine light and the blinking gear indicator but no changes. Any ideas or help is muchly appreciated.
Thanks, Brett

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
the gear blinking means the ECU for the transmission is having issues. Try a trans re-teach or have a dealer re-flash the transmission. To do a trans reteach, shut off the car, wait a but and then turn on the key to the first position (not starting the car). then move the gear selector through all the gears (d,n,r) and wait a bit in each one until it stops making noise. start the car and it should be fine.

Occasionally I loose reverse and have to do this on my 2008. Just one of those things as I know it has the updated software, just not ready to mess with the dealership.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just tried the trans reteach method you described. Either I did it wrong or something because it is still the same. I didn't hear any noises as I slowly selected each gear position. I will try again tomorrow. I'm hoping this will clear itself up somehow, as I drive this car to work every day. Thanks, brett

1 - 3 of 3 Posts