Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and signed up because i am in the market for a used Smart.

Today i went and test drove a Black 2009 Smart Brabus with 46000 miles on it. It all want well until i tried to park it. In order to get it into reverse, i had to put it into Manual Mode and then P and then sift into reverse at which point it made an audible "clunk" sound and i was able to reverse.

I am aware that these cars do have tricky gearboxes but it this something that i should be put off by?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Ummm, you can't get to "park" from the manual slot with out first going to "drive" then to neutral and then "Reverse" then "Park". There's nothing tricky about the trans in these cars. The shifter ,except for the manual postion, is a straight line.

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Sounds like this one needs the 2.03 transmission control unit software update, since it doesn't want to go into reverse. Not going into reverse is a classic symptom that is software correctable. Have the seller get that done. If that fixes it, you are okay to go.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ummm, you can't get to "park" from the manual slot with out first going to "drive" then to neutral and then "Reverse" then "Park". There's nothing tricky about the trans in these cars. The shifter ,except for the manual postion, is a straight line.
You're right, forgot, went into drive first. Even the owner admitted he didn't know what was wrong.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like this one needs the 2.03 transmission control unit software update, since it doesn't want to go into reverse. Not going into reverse is a classic symptom that is software correctable. Have the seller get that done. If that fixes it, you are okay to go.
I've been reading up and that looks to be the fix. The dealership that i called in Laguna Niguel, CA said that they could probably do it for $170+.

Chances are i'm going to get that removed from the cost of the vehicle.

One more question.

The owner has never brought the car into the dealership to be services since it was bought and has said that he did all the services himself. I'm not overly worried being as these cars are relatively simple machines but what do i know?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
You should be aware that the car will not shift into reverse if it is rolling forward. If the car has never been to a dealer for service and it is a early 2009 model it may have never had the trans software updated. It is well worth the cost to have the latest update installed. It is a good idea in any case to have somebody that knows the smart cars check it over if it has been owner serviced.

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
You're right, forgot, went into drive first. Even the owner admitted he didn't know what was wrong.
Wow, there is something you never hear when buying a car and you find a problem... Just like Huhh.. its never done that before...

Best reason to take it to a shop and have them look it over (one that is familiar with smarts) it is worth the cost.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everybody for the good advice. I think we're going to hold off until June to purchase the car but I will take all these suggestions into account once we go ahead.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Aside from the reverse issue, I would want the cooling hoses checked for wear/ fraying were they leave the engine compartment and head toward the front of the car, and possibly the wiring for the fuel pump, tank, and charcoal cannister, to make sure it is not pinched between the frame and the tank. Neither is very common, but it has been known to
happen. You might request that the clutch actuator be recalibrated to the clutch as well. If the brake fluid has not been changed at both twenty and forty thousand miles, I would have that done, as the STAR machine is used to cycle the ABS system and clear out any old brake fluid trapped in the ABS/ESP valving. I would question the owner on that and the type of Brake fluid used to do that. It is not the easiest to come by.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cost

What is the approx cost of the software update?

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
I know of at least one dealer that did it for free. Many others charge upwards of $100.00
It is worth doing, IMHO.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts