Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone , I’ve just got a smart 451 and gear change was working but a bit sluggish so I came across a post on here and stripped and cleaned the actuator I then decided at the same time to strip and clean the gear motors and change the gearbox oil , when I got it all back together and turned ignition on there was a lot of noise etc while it was checking the gears , then when it finished the car would not start , I tried the learn mode with ignition on , it goes into reverse, neutral, 1 and 2 and back but will not go into 3 4 or 5 , the car will start after this but not move, it won’t go into any gear when running, once I turn it off I have to repeat the process to get it to start again but it’s always the same :(
Gutted
Any ideas please

·
Registered
476 Posts
First I would double check the two connectors to the shift motors, the connector to the clutch actuator, and check the adjustment of the actuator.
That it's missing 3,4, and 5 makes me think you'll find the issue with the shift motors.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have also read that there is marks on the cogs on the shift motor to align up when refitting but other posts say there is nothing to align up so i am a bit confused , i dont really want to take it all back to bits if there is no marks to align

·
Super Moderator
29,461 Posts
According to jetfuel, who knows his stuff, the marks are there:
"...nice write up...and now you can see why removing the white cap and spraying Lithium grease down the opening does nothing to the motors and just contaminates the system...
...the two gears in the tranny side have a triangular marking on them....line them up side by side and place them facing straight up...it will help getting the motors in sync and minimize learning time...

Jetfuel...BTDT"

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anyone have any ideas about this ? I must of had that motor off over 100 times today changing cog positions and trying again but still the same , won’t go into any gear when engine is running and in teach it’s r,n,1,2 that’s it :/

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes both motors are moving when tested out the gearbox , engine light was on but it’s off now I think it was because of having it running with no air pipes on , I don’t have diagnostic software :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
theres no matter of triangles. only you car have to be on neutral.it will learn the the gears. i had similar issues. turned out,as i striped down everything., my clutch disc springs felt in pieces. needed clutch change

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
i noticed on this picture of the gear motor you can see a triangle mark, so would the gears in the tranny have the same mark to line up with these ? View attachment 64035

According to jetfuel, who knows his stuff, the marks are there:
"...nice write up...and now you can see why removing the white cap and spraying Lithium grease down the opening does nothing to the motors and just contaminates the system...
...the two gears in the tranny side have a triangular marking on them....line them up side by side and place them facing straight up...it will help getting the motors in sync and minimize learning time...

Jetfuel...BTDT"
Sounds like you may be saying "(the two gears in the tranny side have a triangular marking on them)" .. the two big gears need the arrows lined up side by side or are they locked together?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts