Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As winter approaches I came to the realization that since I work in healthcare and am considered emergency personnel, I am in big trouble when I lose power this winter now that I only drive the Smart Pure Electric. I need to buy a generator as a backup to the grid for charging the mini beast. Generators are sold with wattage ratings and the car isn't.

What size genny is the smallest I can get away with using the 110v EVSE that came with the car? I'll use that as the baseline minimum spec when evaluating gennies. Bear in mind it is a 17 mile trip to the hospital where I can top off while I am there.

Cheers,
Jonathan

·
Registered
312 Posts
Let me first say that I am not too good at this electrical stuff so I hope someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Since the level 1 charger that comes with the car has two settings 8 amp (1kWh) and 12 amp (1.4kWh) I would think that a 1500-2000 watt generator would suffice. You can pick those up for roughly $200-300.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Personally if all you will have on it is less than 20 miles if and when the power goes out, and you can juice it up the next day at work, I would question if you really need it. Unless your power goes out often.

·
Registered
491 Posts
As winter approaches I came to the realization that since I work in healthcare and am considered emergency personnel, I am in big trouble when I lose power this winter now that I only drive the Smart Pure Electric. I need to buy a generator as a backup to the grid for charging the mini beast. Generators are sold with wattage ratings and the car isn't.

What size genny is the smallest I can get away with using the 110v EVSE that came with the car? I'll use that as the baseline minimum spec when evaluating gennies. Bear in mind it is a 17 mile trip to the hospital where I can top off while I am there.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Just charge it at your job. If you charge it @ 100% at your job you have plenty of charge for your roundtrip. With 100% charge I could go 2 roundtrips to my home/job without charging. You could do the same as me.

Don't buy/burn more gasoline! It defeats the purpose of getting an electric car.

·
Registered
491 Posts
...And I'm evangelizing people to go full electric! :D
Come on guys! Say no to evil gasoline, no more!

My neighbor is going to buy his ED now because of me:D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You could tow the generator behind you and charge on the way to and from work...:D
Don't laugh. AC Propulsion had that as an option for the T-Zero. The Smart Pure won't move if it detects the charger plugged in.

I need the genny to charge the car only in the most dire of emergencies otherwise it will keep the fridge and gas furnace running. Since I was in the market for one (I have lost power for multiple contiguous days every year for the three years I have owned the house) I figured I'd make sure it could do the car if needed. My commute is short enough that I can in theory go back and forth to work for two days between charges. That means that I usually charge it starting with about 60% left to begin with.

As far as work goes, they plan to support charging "at some time in the future". In the meantime, some docs and I plan to scour the parking garage and find all the utility outlets and map them out so when it snows we can use them.

At this point I am thinking that a nice little 4kw inverter type genny will do nicely.

Cheers,
Jonathan

·
Registered
312 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
At 12 amps an 110v, your generator needs to put out a constant 1320 watts to charge the Smart, so a 2000w genny should work.

No you can't charge on the fly, it does not make any sense in terms of battery depletion (1 hour) and time to charge on 110c (12 hours)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Does anyone know the charge rate of the brakes? I saw the needle move (Positive) going down a long steep hill... not to worry, I used that back up really quickly, but had me wondering. What is the scale on the dash charge gauge?

·
Registered
763 Posts
You could tow the generator behind you and charge on the way to and from work...:D
smart hybrid?

What about solar panels. . .there are some portable solar panels for campers. Of course, if you're planning on charging at night, you'll need lunar panels.

·
Registered
271 Posts
smart hybrid?

What about solar panels. . .there are some portable solar panels for campers. Of course, if you're planning on charging at night, you'll need lunar panels.
Others have done the math. It would take a long time or the panels would have to accordian out to a surface area many times that of the car.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
If you plan to be in your present home for many years you might consider an automatic unit that could both charge your car and run the essentials at your home. Do you have gas or oil heat? Either one is most likely only 120V. Identify essential outlets and lights, add up the wattage required and get a unit a little more than needed.

About three years ago I installed a 7KW Briggs & Stratton air cooled gen. It provides all I need to run many lights and receptacles, including those for my fridge, freezer, TV, sewage grinder pump (public water, no well), microwave, computer, phone (wireless system), cell charging, fireplace fan and a supplemental electric heater or AC. I put a backup battery on my computer so it does not go off between the time power goes down and the gen starts and switches over. This Spring I even added a hybrid water heater. I run it in heat pump mode which only requires about 450 watts instead of 9,000 watts for electric immersion elements. My gen is fueled by propane. If you have natural gas that is even better as the supply is continuous and you don't have to worry about running out.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Constant duty 2KW generator should do it. If you want something quiet go with a Honda EU2000. If you need to have a little reserve and make the genny worl less hard go with the HONDA EU3000. Good luck.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,971 Posts
Definitely get the generator. If the hospital/health care facility is without shore power and running on generators you may not be able to charge your ED there. Having a generator is your safety net to be sure you can get to work.

Make sure you know how to safely hook it up to your house so you don't back feed on the power lines and please don't run it in your garage.

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,101 Posts
You could take the plunge and install a standby generator for your house. I have one that runs on natural gas and it runs most everything except the central air and electric range. But, the best part is you don't have to start it or shut it off, it just starts up and runs 30 seconds after the power goes off. Very convenient when there's a foot of snow on. :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
You could take the plunge and install a standby generator for your house. I have one that runs on natural gas and it runs most everything except the central air and electric range. But, the best part is you don't have to start it or shut it off, it just starts up and runs 30 seconds after the power goes off. Very convenient when there's a foot of snow on. :)
We have the same setup, except it's programed to start up after 10 seconds. And it's 17 Kw, which will run everything the power company runs, including central air. I love that it runs on natural gas. Only downside is, if the power is out for a week or 10 days (happens around here) it's an expensive way to get electricity.

We had a short power outage within the last couple of weeks. I was curious to see if the standby generated juice would be any problem for the car charger (the one that came with it). It was not a problem.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts