Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to purchase 4 rear rims and 4 205/50 tires so I can rotate.

I am having trouble with the forum on my phone, but believe I found posts saying they will fit.

My question is, do they stick out? Flush with fender? Recessed?

Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
100 Posts
I run 205/50 Kumho Ecsta PA31's on 15 x 6.5" Genius wheels that I run front and rear. These specific tires are directional so I can only rotate the wheels front to back. No issues after a couple thousand miles, no rubbing, no traction control issues, etc. On my old 2012 Pure I used to run the same exact wheels with 195/50's and they worked great too, to me the 205 or 195 ride so much better and handle the highway and wind a lot better than the stock steelies I had.

Here are some pics...

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I know I have probably ask this question a million times. Do they rub when making sharp turns. I had the 195/50R15 on the front of my smart and they rubbed every time I made a sharp turn.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
I know I have probably ask this question a million times. Do they rub when making sharp turns. I had the 195/50R15 on the front of my smart and they rubbed every time I made a sharp turn.

Each of the wheels, in particular more with aftermarket ones, have different offsets, so it may be difficult to find a straight answer unless the owner happens to know the offset and width of the wheels on theirs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
DrKillerBee
1,488 Posts
I have the Genius 15" 6.5" wide wheels all around with Yoko S-Drives 195/50 tires all around with no rubbing ever...even on very hard race track turns or Dragon turns at speed. I also have the Brabus suspension which lowers the car ever so slightly. There are not too many aftermarket wheels for the smart so if you want to be safe find another smart owner that has the same suspension setup, wheels, and tires that you are contemplating and quiz them.
I can say that the car drives so much better on the highway and in turns that it should have come from the factory that way but then it was designed to be a city car that is economical and turns tightly for parking.
My new ED has the standard suspension and wheel/tire setup and rides more smoothly than the smart with the Brabus setup. It will only be driven to work and on errands so I plan on leaving the suspension, wheels, and tires as they come from the factory.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Sorry for the delay in responding but as DrKillerBee noted, no rubbing for me when I ran 195's or the 205's that I run now. As note, I'm on the stock suspension.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have the Genius 15" 6.5" wide wheels all around with Yoko S-Drives 195/50 tires all around with no rubbing ever...even on very hard race track turns or Dragon turns at speed. I also have the Brabus suspension which lowers the car ever so slightly. There are not too many aftermarket wheels for the smart so if you want to be safe find another smart owner that has the same suspension setup, wheels, and tires that you are contemplating and quiz them.
I can say that the car drives so much better on the highway and in turns that it should have come from the factory that way but then it was designed to be a city car that is economical and turns tightly for parking.
My new ED has the standard suspension and wheel/tire setup and rides more smoothly than the smart with the Brabus setup. It will only be driven to work and on errands so I plan on leaving the suspension, wheels, and tires as they come from the factory.
all ED models are fitted with the brabus suspension from factory to cope with the added weight of the batteries ;)

·
DrKillerBee
1,488 Posts
all ED models are fitted with the brabus suspension from factory to cope with the added weight of the batteries ;)
That is really cool to know. I haven't noticed much lean in the corners but wasn't aware of the Brabus suspension. The ED car runs more smoothly than my gas smart on Brabus suspension but my gas smart has 15" 6.5 genius wheels with 195/50 Yoko S Drive tires on all 4 corners. That wheel tire set up shouldn't result in that much of a different smoothness to the ride...but the rides are certainly different on the same road.
I have noticed the ED seats feel higher than in the gas smart car.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,761 Posts
I have noticed the ED seats feel higher than in the gas smart car.
They are AND the width of the passenger compartment may be fractionally wider too? Have seen that documented (and believe I posted the reference) previously but it's now lost in all the other smart minutiae in my aging gray matter . . .

As for the B'bus suspension on the ED - at one point that was confirmed by both paint color and part number. On my 2015 ED part number points to smart not B'bus, perhaps it rec'd it's own ED part number?

·
Registered
456 Posts
They are AND the width of the passenger compartment may be fractionally wider too? Have seen that documented (and believe I posted the reference) previously but it's now lost in all the other smart minutiae in my aging gray matter . . .
I read that the ED is in some of the early reviews of the 2013 ED but I haven't been able to confirm it. Check on the "Styling" section here: Smart Electric Drive | PluginCars.com. Here's the salient quote, "Although it looks identical to its gasoline sibling, the 2015 Smart ForTwo Electric Drive is marginally larger. You’d have to park it next to a gasoline Smart ForTwo to really notice. That extra length, width and height helps contains a 17.6 kilowatt-hour lithium-ion battery pack and electric motor." I did park my ED next to an ICE and I didn't notice any difference.

I don't actually believe the ED is larger. I'd love to be proven wrong...again! I did some poking around to see if some major components are different between the ED and ICE and I didn't find any differences in part numbers other than the fact that the ED has the Brabus suspension.

·
Super Moderator
28,977 Posts
How could it be larger - it uses exactly the same 451 chassis as the ICE version? :shrug:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts