Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Euro Motorcars in Germantown, MD is sponsoring a "by invitation only" demo event for the SmartCar and have hired a dedicated sales manager for the marque. I would think this means they have secured a dealership. They are not Penske affiliated.

Euro Motorcars Germantown
19750 Germantown Road
Germantown, MD 20874
301-601-5560

·
Registered
114 Posts
Penske Affiliated Dealer

Penske group has dealers in only 19 states and none in Maryland.

Arizona Arkansas California Connecticut Florida Georgia Indiana
Michigan Mississippi Minnesota Nevada Oklahoma Ohio Virginia Texas Tennessee
New Jersey New York Rhode Island

It is possible they are the Smart Car Penske affiliated dealer, if the party is being held there.

Has anyone else been invited and if so are you registered on the waiting list and what does the invitation look like?

Maryland and that entire area have been hot for these cars for many years and whoever the dealer is can sell a bunch of them, if supplies are available?

Early this month on the east coast the Smart went on displayed at Mercedes-Benz of Smithtown and Rallye Motors in Roslyn and at a boutique in East Hampton.

Neither of theses dealers is Penske Group affiliated.

Most stops had been held at markets type venues like Cleveland

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The "by invitation only" was only sent out to those folks holding a reservation within the anticipated sales territory for Euro Motorcars Germantown. This is not a regular tour event that coincides with any of the tour spots. The invitation was sent out (via email) from Smart USA in Bloomfield, Michigan (Penske). Apparently, Penske has signed a reseller agreement with Euro Motorcars Germntown.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Euro Motorcars

I also came to the Euro Motorcars private tour day in Germantown, Maryland (DC suburbs) on August 21, and would like to comment on a few things that have come up in this and other threads.

1) Euro Motorcars is very likely to be the authorized dealer for the DC area. 4) One salesman said the deal had not been finalized, but pointed out the part of their showroom that they would renovate to serve as a separate Smart sales area. Another salesman already had a business card with Smart cars on it, identifying him as the dealership's Smart coordinator; he said he was going to train with Smart next week. He said that he would start calling people who had reservations as early as September, and that he believed the cars would start arriving as early as January. Here's the other information he had -- and didn't have.

2) The actual final cost and the list of available options and their costs have not yet been released. Warranty length and terms have not been released. He speculated about a three-year warranty; the Canadian warranty is four years. All repairs, at least during the warranty, will have to be done by Smart dealers.

3) Details of the maintenance program haven't been released, but he expects it to require only a yearly (or 10,000 mile) check-up; he didn't think it would be free, like the Mercedes maintenance program, but he believed the yearly cost would be nominal -- he mentioned $90.

3) The actual insurance costs will depend on crash test ratings (and more importantly, of course, region). But he had been told that Smart now anticipated not only an overall four-star crash rating, but some five-star ratings. And insurance salesmen have told him that the likelihood of doing most body work by simply replacing interchangeable panels should keep the cost low.

4) The Smart can be towed with all four wheels on the road.

5) Unfortunately, he wouldn't agree that if the Smart car isn't delivered by a date certain, the dealership would substitute a Maybach at the same price.

Here are my wife's and my observations from our test drives.

1) The ride is good; we thought it was better than many of the posters on this forum have. The car doesn't feel like a sports car; instead, it feels like a stable subcompact or even compact car. If that's the ride you want, you'll be pleased.

2) The transmission lags that many have mentioned didn't bother either of us. My test drive companion explained that it should be driven in a European style, letting up on the gas rather than stepping on the gas to initiate a transmission shift; he also said the transmissions on the models coming to the US would be adjusted to suit the more aggressive American driving style, rather than requiring Americans to adjust to it.

3) The action of the convertible roof is good -- smooth, quiet, and quick (about five seconds to retract fully), and it can be raised or lowered while the car is moving. The roof can be stopped at any point, for a sunroof, topless, or full convertible effect.

4) A couple things we haven't seen emphasized on discussion boards: on the Passion model, the panaroma roof is clear and fixed, with a sliding interior frame -- it is not a sunroof that can be opened. And dashboard colors are coordinated with the seat colors.

5) The red exterior color isn't a true red -- neither candy red, fire-engine red, nor deep red. It does have an orange undertone, and Smart representatives didn't seem to be sure if it would be the tone used on the US models, although one said the colors they had were the final colors.

6) The stories about tires are accurate -- they are two different sizes, with the rear tires being wider than the front, and no spare tire or jack is provided.

7) My wife's test drive companion said that premium gasoline is recommended for best gas mileage, but she implied that it is not really necessary. Other postings have said the official recommendation will be 91 octane, an intermediate grade.

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
Good posting and it hits on many points that here have been pondered. If I had not read any other posts but this one, I surely would be in line to buy one but I already am, fortunately. I personally feel once this car gets into the US and it's advantages are understood, it will start a smaller car revolution. I am ready for the next step in that revolution....PHEV's. That, in my opinion, is the ultimate in commuter transportation for this century for both one's pocketbook and the help reduce carbon footprint.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am excited to hear that Penske has a dealer in Tennessee! Do you know where? I live in Nashville and can't wait to buy a Smart Passion.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yeah, my 06 MCS has run-flats as well................so, does this mean all Smarts will come with RF tires? I would imagine so. It's weird though, my 02 Cooper (one of the first in the U.S.) had 16" run-flats but was equipped at the VPC (port of Baltimore or Newark) with a donut spare and jack. The Cooper S is a different story since the center exit exhaust leaves no room for a spare, donut or otherwise.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Run-flat tires

Yes, the tires are run-flats. If you want to buy a spare tire anyway, my understanding is that you should get an extra front tire, since the narrower front tires will fit on the rear, while the wider rear wheels will not fit on the front.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, my 06 MCS has run-flats as well................so, does this mean all Smarts will come with RF tires? I would imagine so. It's weird though, my 02 Cooper (one of the first in the U.S.) had 16" run-flats but was equipped at the VPC (port of Baltimore or Newark) with a donut spare and jack. The Cooper S is a different story since the center exit exhaust leaves no room for a spare, donut or otherwise.
The MCS also has a battery where the MC has its spare.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Dealer Candidate in Tennessee?

From Google today:

"The 50-city tour to showcase the revolutionary smart fortwo, an urban lifestyle car manufactured by Mercedes Car Group, includes a stop in Knoxville on Sept. 20 at Mercedes-Benz of Knoxville, 10131 Parkside Drive."

Here's the link: http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2007/aug/25/Business-Channel-Aug-25/

Not an official announcement, but it seems to be a pattern that street smart stops kick off with an event at the local dealer candidate....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts